Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Munster

05 November 2009

1798 – St Mary’s Roman Catholic Church, Youghal, Co. Cork

09 April 2013

1799 – Court House, Lismore, Co. Waterford

Architect: John Carr The Sessions House, as it was first known, was built as part of the Lismore estate, by Lord Devonshire and can be attributed to the Architect John Carr. Like many...

12 October 2012

17th C – Loughmore Castle, Co. Tipperary

A 14th century tower house to which a 17th century fortified house has been built on to creating a larger h-plan house. It was the seat of the Purcell family, who were Barons...

21 January 2015

1800 – Castle Bernard, Bandon, Co. Cork

In 1788 Francis Bernard, the 1st Earl of Bandon demolished much of the old O’Mahony castle that previously stood on this site, and built a castellated mansion. It was of two storeys with...

22 May 2012

1800s – Clonshavoy House, Co. Limerick

The Irish Tourist Association surveyor writes in 1944 that the house was interesting as it was the remains of a very old Elizabethan house. He says that more than half the house was...

05 November 2009

1804 – Christ Church, Church of Ireland, Fermoy, Co. Cork

Architect: Abraham Hargrave Church of Portland stone with tower and spire on the site of 13th century Cistercian abbey. The contractors were William Deane and William Kearns. According to Lewis’s Topographical Directory of...

21 March 2012

1806 – Shanbally Castle, Clogheen, Co. Tipperary

Architect: John Nash Shanbally Castle was built for Cornelius O’Callaghan, the first Viscount Lismore and was the largest house built in Ireland by the noted English architect John Nash. Acquired by the Irish...

02 May 2012

1811 – Black Abbey Church, Adare, Co. Limerick

The Trinitarian Order established their only monastery in Ireland in Adare in 1230. Ruined for many years, the Abbey was restored in 1811 by the first Earl of Dunraven as the Catholic Parish...

11 March 2012

1812 – Ballyheigue Castle, Co. Kerry

Architect: Richard Morrison & William Vitruvius Morrison Long rambling castle sited across a hillside. Burnt during 1921, a wing was recently restored. The grounds are now a golf course. Interestingly while both illustrations...