Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Tipperary

09 February 2013

1869 – Church of St. Cronan, Roscrea, Co. Tipperary

Architect: William Deane Butler / John Sterling Butler Work on Roscrea’s fine Roman Catholic church took many years, with the foundation stone being laid in 1843. However the Famine stalled work, and it...

28 July 2015

1869 – High Altar, Lattin, Co. Tipperary

Architect: Earley & Powells “The altar and reredos, illustrated in our present number, are made in Caen stone, Irish and Italian marbles. The altar-table is one slab of Sicilian marble, supported by Galway...

24 October 2011

1870 – Convent of Mercy, Tipperary, Co. Tipperary

Architect: G.C. Ashlin Church added by Ashlin to existing convent of around 1846.

12 November 2009

1875 – St. Peter’s and Pauls’ Church, Clonmel, Co. Tipperary

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan, G.C. Ashlin Construction took so long that both the original architect, O’Callaghan working in anusual style for him, and the replacement, Ashlin, had died. A robust romanesque style, the interior...

17 September 2009

1876 – Tipperary Town Hall, Co. Tipperary

Architect: T.G. Jackson The only Irish work of Oxford-based architect Thomas Jackson, the former townhall is now refurbished as a local theatre after a period of neglect, and several fires. The interior was...

17 September 2009

1877 – Mooresfort Chapel, Co. Tipperary

Architect: G.C. Ashlin Unbuilt proposal for private chapel published in The Building News, December 7 1877.

12 November 2009

1879 – Cathedral of the Assumption, Thurles, Co. Tipperary

Architect: J.J. McCarthy The Cathedral of the Assumption is the fourth church to be built on this site. The first one recorded was a Carmelite church built in the early fourteenth century. After...

19 October 2011

1879 – St. Nicholas Church, Carrick-on-suir, Co. Tipperary

Architect: G.C. Ashlin Italian Romaneque style church by George C. Ashlin. A fine detached campanile alongside adds vertical emphasis. The interior is Ashlin’s interpretation of a roman basicilia. The church was began in...

18 October 2012

1881 – Town Hall, Clonmel, Co. Tipperary

The original town hall was built in the seventeenth century on the site of a private mansion called Hamerton Hall, owned by Richard Hamerton, a timber merchant. The building became an Inn in...


Skip to toolbar