Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Tipperary

12 July 2013

1887 – Rearcross Church, Co. Tipperary

The church was originally designed by a Swiss architect for a Wesleyan congregation as temporary structure in Northumbria and used by a mining community there. In 1887, the parish priest of Kilcomman in...

09 March 2009

1889 – Town Hall, Banba Sq., Nenagh, Co. Tipperary

Architect: Robert P. Gill Still extant, but now in use as Nenagh Arts Centre. Constructed as a 3-bay buiulding with fine round-headed doors and windows.

28 March 2013

1890 – William O’Brien Arcade, New Tipperary, Co. Tipperary

Architect: Robert P. Gill In 1888-9, tenants of the local landlord, Arthur Smith Barry, withheld their rents in solidarity with his tenants in Co Cork. They were evicted and, under the direction of...

27 May 2015

1895 – Galtee Castle, Skeheenarinky, Co. Tipperary

Architect: Alfred Darbyshire Originally constructed as a hunting lodge for the 2nd Earl of Kingston, ca 1780, and later remodeled in 1825 by the 3rd Earl. In the 1850s, the Kingstons were forced...

09 March 2013

1902 – Methodist Church & Hall, Roscrea, Co. Tipperary

Architect: George F. Beckett Lovely little Methodist church with unusual front porch with attractive stonework. The spirelet to the top of the gable adds to the picturesque effect of the building. Photograph courtesy,...

09 March 2012

1905 – St. Joseph’s College, Roscrea, Co. Tipperary

Architect: William H. Beardwood New college buildings that were designed by the brother of the Abbot Dom Camillus Beardwood, Abbot of Mount St Joseph Abbey> Later bell tower by Jones and kelly from...

22 October 2011

1906 – St. Mary`s Church, Nenagh, Co. Tipperary

Architect: Walter G. Doolin / Ashlin & Coleman Selected after an architectural competition to replace an earlier church of 1841. The foundation stone was laid in 1892, and the church was largely complete...

17 July 2011

1928 – Upperchurch, Thurles, Co. Tipperary

By an unknown architect and supposedly the second church in Ireland to be constructed largely of concrete.

24 October 2011

1932 – Christian Brothers School, Templemore, Co, Tipperary

Opened as a secondary school in 1932.