Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Waterford

20 February 2014

1851 – Lismore Castle, Co. Waterford

Architect: William Atkinson / Joseph Paxton / A.W.N. Pugin / John Gregory Crace Originally built in 1185 by King John, Lismore Castle was owned in turn by Sir Walter Raleigh and Richard Boyle,...

13 November 2009

1854 – Clock, Waterford

Architect: Charles Tarrant Well detailed clocktower and public water fountain, with water troughs for horses, maintained in good order. Built by public subscription. Completed 1861 with a clock costing £78-10s donated by Corporation...

01 January 2013

1859 – Turkish Baths, Hardy’s Rd., Waterford

Architect: Richard Barter

20 December 2012

1861 – Church of the Holy Cross, Tramore, Co. Waterford

Architect: J.J. McCarthy The interior of this fine gothic revival church has been completely vandalised by the movement interpreting the Vatican II guidelines. Instead of fine marble fittings, the interior has a rough...

13 November 2009

1862 – Catholic Church, Tramore, Co. Waterford

Architect: J.J. McCarthy Typical composition of the architect J.J. McCarthy with the offset tower. The church has none of the lightness of some of his other work – being quite foreboding and grim....

19 March 2013

1864 – North Station, Waterford, Co. Waterford

Waterford originally had two railway stations – the North Station, where the current station is today – and the South Station, near the old Waterford Stanley plant. The station opened on 26 August...

04 April 2011

1866 – Gurteen le Poer, Gurteen, Co. Waterford

Architect: Samuel Ussher Roberts Constructed for Edmond de la Poer, whose family has held land here from Norman times. Construction commencing in 1863, and was completed in 1866, to designs by Samuel Ussher...

13 November 2009

1867 – Ferrybank Catholic Church, Co. Waterford

Architect: Pugin & Ashlin / Ashlin & Coleman Built in two phases, this church was started by Pugin & Ashlin in 1867. They added a tower and spire to the front of a...

20 February 2014

1870 – St. John’s College, Waterford

Architect: George Goldie Constructed between 1868 and 1879, the diocesan college had a cloistered central court and chapel – a rather grim fortress of Catholic education. Closed as a seminary in 1999 due...


Skip to toolbar