Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings of Ireland

13 January 2013

1639 – Tholsel, Galway

Demolished around 1822, construction started in 1639.

05 November 2009

1640 – Lemenagh Castle, Co. Clare

Lemenagh Castle was both a castle (1480) and fortified house (1640) and was one of the principal strongholds of the O’Brien’s. The fortified house was built by Conor O’Brien who was married to...

12 March 2011

1650 – Hillsborough Fort, Hillsborough, Co. Down

Artillery fort built in 1650 by Colonel Arthur Hill – the Hill family built the village of Hillsborough starting with the fort. Remodelled in the 18th Century for feasts and entertainment.

29 May 2014

1660s – Beaulieu, Co. Louth

The buildings at Beaulieu, evolved over time, from tower house to Jacobean building, finally being redesigned as a grand mansion, in the English style, by the Tichbourne family. As such, it is a...

23 April 2015

1660s – Eyrecourt Castle, Co. Galway

Eyrecourt was built by Colonel John Eyre around 1660. Eyre had arrived in Ireland during the Cromwellian Wars and was granted large tracts of land in East Galway for his service to Cromwell....

30 December 2009

1664 – Clonfert Cathedral, Co. Galway

The original monastery was founded here by Saint Brendan in 563 and it is here that the great navigating saint is buried. It flourished for many centuries, even through times of great invasions...

24 March 2015

1665 – Market House, High Street, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Belfast’s first market house of 1665 was located at the corner of High Street next to Cornmarket. According to an 1823 published history of Belfast, “In 1665 the inhabitants of Malone Falls Dunmurry...

06 June 2013

1669 – Crotta House, Kilflynn, Co. Kerry

Architect: Richard Morrison Original house of 1669, owned by the Ponsonby family. Additions of 1819 in a Jacobean style to the existing house by Sir Richard Morrison, who added gables and the curvilinear...

29 March 2015

1673 – Blue Coat School, Dublin

In Oxmantown Green, the King’s Hospital or Bluecoat School, was erected between 1669 and 1673 as a free school for boys and an alms house for unprivileged. Officially the building was known as...