Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings of Ireland

05 February 2010

1880 – Water Tower, Phoenix Park, Dublin

Architect: J.F. Fuller The water tower was constructed in 1880 to the designs of J.F. Fuller. At this time Fuller was working at Ashford for the Earl of Iveagh’s brother and this tower...

26 May 2013

1880c – Royal Hotel, Valentia, Co. Kerry

Now described as a Bed & Breakfast with a barrather than a hotel, the Royal is sited by the quayside on Valentia Island. Originally constructed circa 1880 and later extended in the 1930s....

20 March 2011

1880s – 8 St. Mary’s Abbey, Dublin

A large multi-use building on a corner of St. Mary’s Abbey. The building has living accommodation above in flats with a large commercial unit at ground level. The corner has a wonderfully ornate...

14 April 2014

1880s – Boland’s Bakery, 9 Georges St., Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

One of the Boland’s retail shops around Dublin, this shop on George’s Street was a fine Victorian building, with ornate stucco and shopfront. Boland’s had several bakeries in the city as well as...

08 August 2013

1880s – Castle Erin / Golf Hotel, Portrush, Co. Antrim

Former hotel built between railway line and coast to service Portrush’s links course. Originally called the Hydropathic Hotel but changed its name to the Golf Hotel, and later Castle Erin. It was later...

19 October 2011

1880s – Convent of Mercy, Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford

In 1859 the Sisters of Mercy arrived in Enniscorthy to open a Convent to meet the needs of the poor. In 1860 two rooms were procured and classes for children and adults commenced....

12 June 2010

1880s – House, Burlington Road, Dublin

Remnant of one of the fine Victorian mansions that once lined Burlington Road. Now repositioned beside the second generation of office blocks that replaced them.

22 January 2013

1880s – Landing Pier, Curribinney, Crosshaven, Co. Cork

13 January 2014

1880s – Marlborough House, Glasnevin, Dublin

Marlborough House was a large domestic dwelling which had been used as a teacher training college. It was registered as a detention centre for up to 50 boys on 24th March 1944. For...