Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings of Ireland

05 March 2014

1881 – Cunningham Memorial Presbyterian Church, Cullybackey, Co. Antrim

Architect: Young & Mackenzie Cruciform church constructed to replace an earlier church of 1781 on same site. With its 130 ft spire, the church is very much a local landmark. External walls of...

06 May 2014

1881 – Donore Presbyterian Church, South Circular Road, Dublin

Architect: William Stirling Presbyterian church and manse constructed for a congregation of around 500. Originally constructed for a congregation of Presbyterians who were based next to the Guinness Brewery and accepted a buy-out...

17 September 2009

1881 – Drawing Room, Blackheath, Contarf

Architect: Sir Thomas Drew Interior view including ground plan & key. Published in The Building News, March 4th 1881. “This sketch gives the interior of a ball-room, which forms part of additions to...

18 March 2014

1881 – Gate Lodge, Dalguise, Monkstown, Co. Dublin

Architect: William Mitchell Design exhibited at the RHA Exhibition of 1881 and published in The Irish Builder, November 1 1881.

29 November 2010

1881 – High Altar Convent of Mercy, Loughrea, Co. Galway

Architect: Earley and Powells Coloured elevation, side elevation, vertical section and half plan for altarpiece, featuring carved statues of St Patrick and St Bridget in niches at either side. Also includes carved relief...

13 March 2014

1881 – Nos. 19-23 Donegall Street, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Mackinnon & Dickson Four storey stucco building, a speculative development, only part of which was constructed. The portion to the left, above, is the site of No.23 Donegall Street, itself a fine...

21 March 2014

1881 – Nos. 96-100 Grafton Street, Dublin

Architect: William Mitchell Fine commercial block at the corner of Grafton and Wicklow Streets. At one point, almost the entire block to Suffolk Street was the work of Mitchell – in addition to...

18 February 2010

1881 – South City Markets, South Great George’s Street, Dublin

Architect: Lockwood & Mawson South City Markets takes up an entire block of the city and is surrounded on all side by a network of small busy commercial streets. The building is heavily...

09 March 2013

1881 – St Brigid’s Church, Clara, Co. Offaly

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan / Ralph H. Byrne Designed in 1876, and completed by 1881, and reminiscent of Pugin’s work at St. Mary’s Cathedral in Killarney – in particular the central crossing tower. The...