Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings of Ireland

27 May 2010

1878 – South City Markets, South Great George’s Street, Dublin

Architect: McCurdy & Mitchell Unplaced design for the market buildings on Sth Great George’s Street. Described in The Building News: “the exterior, as shown by a cleverly-handled perspective drawing tinted in sepia and...

14 March 2013

1878 – St Joseph’s Church, Mountmellick, Co. Laois

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan / W.H. Byrne & Son The main body of St. Joseph’s was constructed between 1872 and 1878, with the tower a later addition of 1904 by W.H. Byrne & Son....

09 August 2012

1878 – St Mary’s Cathedral, Tuam, Co. Galway

Architect: Thomas Newenham Deane This, the third Cathedral to be built in Tuam, was built on the site of the first cathedral and incorporated a Hiberno-Romanesque arch that remained onsite. The building is...

07 January 2010

1878 – St. Mary Magdalen’s Dominican Church, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: G.C. Ashlin Designed in a French Gothic style and built in 1878, the Dominican church is finished in rusticated limestone. The side entrance to Dominick Street has a small tower over the...

08 January 2015

1878 – St. Vincent de Paul Orphanage, Glasnevin, Dublin

Architect: John Sterling Butler / John L. Robinson Opened in 1857, where the apartments in Dalcassian Downs now stand. This had accommodation for 150 boys and also provided school facilities. Known as St...

14 May 2014

1878 – Warehouses, Merchants Quay, Waterford

Architect: Walter G. Doolin “We publish herewith an illustration of a new warehouse about to be erected for Messrs. Power and Co., Merchants-quay, Waterford. The ground storey will be of Bagnalstown granite, Portland...

31 December 2015

1878 – Weir’s Bridge, Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh

Architect: Edward Fowler The bridge carried the Sligo, Leitrim and Northern Counties Railway across the River Erne from the Great Northern Railway Station at Enniskillen to the Midland Great Western Railway near Ballisodare...

22 January 2010

1879 – Alms Houses Terrace, Clondalkin, Co. Dublin

Fine terrace of stone cottages in the old centre of Clondalkin, opposite the round tower and alongside the Church of Ireland. Constructed in 1879 in memory of Reverend David John Reade and this...

12 November 2009

1879 – Cathedral of the Assumption, Thurles, Co. Tipperary

Architect: J.J. McCarthy The Cathedral of the Assumption is the fourth church to be built on this site. The first one recorded was a Carmelite church built in the early fourteenth century. After...