Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings of Ireland

28 July 2015

1879 – Our Lady of the Assumption, Magherafelt, Co. Derry

Architect: O’Neill & Byrne Large French Gothic style church with triple recessed pointed arch doorway and tall three stage tower. “The church, which we illustrate in this issue, is in course of erection...

06 November 2009

1879 – Post Office, Cork

Architect: Jacob Owen / T.J. Mellon Large post office building with a fine curved fa├žade with arcaded windows. Designed by Jacob Owen of the Board of Works and later extended by T.J. Mellon...

29 July 2015

1879 – Presbyterian Memorial Secession Church Buildings, Botanic Ave., Belfast

Architect: Young & Mackenzie A three bay church in rough sandstone constructed between 1877-79, it became the Kingham Mission for the Deaf in 1899. Now only a retained facade as the site was...

17 September 2009

1879 – Roman Catholic Church, Castleisland, Co. Kerry

Architect: Dominick J. Coakley Selected design from seven submitted. Tower and spire later, from 1901. Published in The Building News, November 14 1879: “This design was selected in a competition wherein seven architects...

13 December 2011

1879 – S.S. Peter & Paul Presbytery & Schools, Cork

Architect: Robert Walker Presbytery and schools for 740 children. Presbytery has hall, waiting and reception rooms on ground floor and 15 sitting and bedrooms on 1st floor, with 2 bathrooms. Tower, which separates...

17 September 2009

1879 – Sedes Sapientiae (Training School) Baggot St., Dublin

Architect: John L. Robinson In the early 1830s Catherine McAuley started training courses in the Baggot Street Convent to qualify able students who wished to become governesses or teachers in various schools throughout...

07 April 2010

1879 – Sir John Gray Statue, O’Connell Street, Dublin

Designer: Thomas Farrell The statue celebrating Sir John Gray (1816-75) for his efforts in bringing a water supply to Dublin in 1868.

21 September 2009

1879 – St Finn Barre’s Cathedral, Cork

Architect: William Burges Sited on a hillside above the south channel of the River Lee, St Finn Barre’s Cathedral is a miniature cathedral but a decorative giant. The exterior of this quite small...

02 February 2010

1879 – St Matthew’s Royal Chapel, Irishtown, Dublin

Architect: J.F. Fuller Originally erected for the city Corporation in 1704-06, the tower was later added in 1713. The church was largely rebuilt in 1878-79 by J.F. Fuller, leaving the tower as the...