Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings of Ireland

15 January 2015

1884 – Caretaker’s Cottage, Peoples Park, Bray, Co. Wicklow

Architect: T.N. Deane & Son Designed for Lord Brabazon, Earl of Meath whose estates are nearby, and donated to the town. Published in The Builder. Febraury 28 1884.

01 December 2014

1884 – Church of St. Malachy, Castlewellan, Co. Down

Architect: Mortimer H. Thomson Constructed during 1880-1884. Although poorly modernised, the sanctuary still has its original reredos behind the altar.

16 April 2012

1884 – Church of St. Patrick and St. Brigid, Clane, Co. Kildare

Architect: William Hague In 1839 the Presentation Convent was established in Clane. Forty years later the nuns offered their garden as a site for the new Church. The building was dedicated in 1884,...

16 July 2014

1884 – Design for High Altar

Architect: L.A. McDonnell Presumed never constructed, this sketch design by L.A. McDonnell was carried out while still in the employ of J.F. Fuller. “We this week publish a sketch design for a high...

25 March 2014

1884 – Design for St. Patrick’s Church, Kilkenny

Architect: Walter G. Doolin Unsuccessful entry in a limited competition to design a new church in 1884. By 1887, the Irish Builder was reporting that “owing to the lamented death of the late...

04 May 2010

1884 – Former London and North Western Hotel, North Wall Quay, Dublin

In 1861 the London and North Western Railway Company which had been operating a steam packet service across the Irish Sea, moved its Irish terminus from Kingstown (DĂșn Laoghaire) to North Wall Quay....

28 September 2009

1884 – Former Masonic Hall, Armagh, Co. Armagh

Architect: J.H. Fullerton An eccentric polychromatic building built as a Masonic Hall and now used as a Plymouth Brethren Meeting House. The building features a wedge-shaped belfry, turreted staircase, rooftop fleche – many...

04 March 2014

1884 – Forster Green & Co., Royal Avenue, Belfast

Architect: Thomas Jackson Now known as Eagle Chambers, a three-storey stucco building with curved facade into North Street. Originally an extension of Forster Green’s four-storey ‘Golden Eagle’ premises in North Street. Forster Green...

09 October 2009

1884 – Gate House, Sion Mills, Co. Tyrone

Architect: W.F. Unsworth Built to complement the large house built for the Herdman family, it is quite similar in design to one at Stokesay Castle.