Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings of Ireland

04 March 2014

1884 – Forster Green & Co., Royal Avenue, Belfast

Architect: Thomas Jackson Now known as Eagle Chambers, a three-storey stucco building with curved facade into North Street. Originally an extension of Forster Green’s four-storey ‘Golden Eagle’ premises in North Street. Forster Green...

09 October 2009

1884 – Gate House, Sion Mills, Co. Tyrone

Architect: W.F. Unsworth Built to complement the large house built for the Herdman family, it is quite similar in design to one at Stokesay Castle.

23 April 2014

1884 – Gate Lodge, Antrim Castle, Co, Antrim

Architect: William J. Fennell Unbuilt design for a new gate-lodge for Antrim Castle. Design was exhibited at the RHA in 1884 and published in The Irish Builder, October 15 1885.

26 January 2010

1884 – Great Palm House, Botanic Gardens, Glasnevin, Dublin

Costing £800, the Great Palm House, which was made of wood and iron, was prefabricated in the Scottish town of Paisley by James Boyd & Son. It was shipped to Ireland in pieces,...

26 May 2014

1884 – Junior House, All Hallow’s College, Drumcondra, Dublin

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan “In our present number we give a perspective view of this new building, the plans for which were obtained in a limited competition decided a few days since. The principal...

12 May 2014

1884 – Leonard Wine Merchants, Antrim Rd., Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: E.J. Byrne `The new premises, the subject of our illustration, are now being erected from the design of Mr. E.J. Byrne, architect, of 4 Waring-street Belfast, for Mr. Patrick Leonard, wine merchant....

27 February 2011

1884 – Lyceum Theatre, Dublin

Architect: Arthur Dudgeon Proposal for a huge theatre at the junction of Tara Street and Pearse Street (on the site of the now former Fire Station by C.J. McCarthy) that was never built,...

16 February 2010

1884 – Mercer’s Hospital, Mercer Street, Dublin

Architect: J.H. Brett Part of the former hospital for sick and the poor erected through the will of Mary Mercer and opened in 1734, only the towers and facades survive of the Victorian...

28 February 2012

1884 – Merrion Pier and Baths, Dublin

Architect: All that remains is a portion of the concrete basin on the strand of the former public baths. The Dublin Evening Mail described the baths on their opening as “120 feet by...