Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings of Ireland

17 September 2009

1884 – National Museum & Library, Kildare St., Dublin

Architect: T.N. Deane & Son Designed as part of the same scheme as the National Library, the building has recently being undergoing complete restoration inside and out. The elevation to Kildare Street is...

20 January 2010

1884 – Pembroke Housing, Shelbourne Road, Dublin

Architect: H.E. Fitzgerald Fine houses in a small cul-de-sac off Shelbourne Road, these were built for the Pembroke Estate after a competition in 1884. There are similar rows off Northumberland Row, Merrion Road...

06 May 2014

1884 – Railway Station, Strabane, Co. Tyrone

Architect: William H. Mills The railway line to Strabane from Omagh originally opened in 1847 and was run by the Irish North Western Railway. After the takeover by the Great Northern Railway in...

29 January 2014

1884 – Royal Avenue Hotel, Belfast

Architect: Thomas Jackson Constructed between 1882 and 1884, designed by architect Thomas Jackson in the Italianate style – a four-storey building with round headed dormers and a rounded corner to Rosemary Street. It...

09 October 2009

1884 – Sion House, Sion Mills, Co. Tyrone

Architect: W.F. Unsworth Constructed by the Herdman family, who constructed the model village and mills of Sion. Now sadly in very poor repair and must be considered at risk of loss. Published in...

10 February 2010

1884 – SS Augustine and John, Thomas Street, Dublin

Architect: Pugin & Ashlin The tallest existing spire in Dublin and sited on high ground so as to be visible from the Liffey valley, SS Augustine and John on Thomas Street was designed...

31 August 2012

1884 – St. Carthage’s Church, Lismore, Co. Waterford

Architect: Walter G. Doolin St Cartage’s Parish Church was officially opened in 1884, and is regarded as one of the finest examples of Lombardo-Romanesque churches in Ireland. Red sandstone, quarried locally, and white...

15 April 2012

1884 – St. Finnian’s Church, Kilfinane, Co. Limerick

Architect: G.C. Ashlin Completed in 1884, but designed in 1877-78 with illustrations published in The Building News, March 22nd 1878.

14 March 2013

1884 – St. Mary’s Church of Ireland, Baltinglass, Co. Wicklow

Architect: Richard O’Brien Smyth Selected after an architectural competition, and constructed between 1882-84. In plan, cruciform with a porch to the north-east and a tower to the south-west. Photograph courtesy, and copyright of...