Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings of Ireland

08 April 2011

1884 – Ulster Reform Club, Royal Avenue, Belfast

Architect: Maxwell & Tuke In 1880, a a group of Ulster Liberals debated whether the cause of the Liberal Party should be advanced by formation of a Club in Belfast similar to the...

08 December 2011

1884 – Uncompleted designs for St. Saviour’s Priory, Dublin

Architect: John L. Robinson Design for an priory with enclosed quadrangle adjacent to St. Saviour’s Church. Built in a modified form, the building was never fully completed. Ironically the funds for this building...

17 February 2010

1885 – Commercial Union Building, Grafton Street, Dublin

Architect: T.N. Deane & Son Designed in 1879 by Thomas Manly Deane of T.N Deane & Son as offices for the Commercial Union Assurance Company, this is a fine exercise in Scottish Baronial...

13 November 2009

1885 – Former Greyfriar’s Church, Waterford

Architect: Sir Thomas Drew An appealing small-scale Gothic Revival Methodist Church, designed by Sir Thomas Drew. Although extensively re-modelled to the interior to accommodate its present use as an art gallery, the exterior...

11 June 2014

1885 – Holy Ghost Hospital, Waterford

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan Founded in 1545, in the nineteenth century the hospital removed to the suburbs and in 1882 construction of the present hospital was started. A stone over the main entrance reads...

06 November 2009

1885 – McKenzies Building, Cork

Fine riverside Lombardo-Romanesque warehouse with a continuous glazed arcade on the upper storey over large round-headed openings. The elaborate render detail enlivens the fa├žade of this unusual building, and enhances and articulates the...

17 September 2009

1885 – New Homestead, Clogher Park, Co. Tyrone

Architect: Richard Waite Designed for local landowner T.S. Porter esq., published in The Building News, August 28th 1885. Clogher Park was formerly Clogher Palace, the residence of the Church of Ireland bishops of...

29 June 2010

1885 – O’Neill’s, Pearse Street, Dublin

Fine corner Victorian public house facade with four bays to Pearse Street, and six bays to Shaw Street. The shop facade is elaborate timber design with decorative tiles and mosaics, and a glazed...

15 July 2014

1885 – Orange Hall, Clifton St., Belfast

Architect: William Batt The Hall was opened on January 27th, 1885. To mark the bi-centenary of the “Glorious Revolution” of 1688 an equestrian bronze statue, by Henry Hems of Exeter,city coat of arms...