Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings of Ireland

31 August 2012

1884 – St. Carthage’s Church, Lismore, Co. Waterford

Architect: Walter G. Doolin St Cartage’s Parish Church was officially opened in 1884, and is regarded as one of the finest examples of Lombardo-Romanesque churches in Ireland. Red sandstone, quarried locally, and white...

15 April 2012

1884 – St. Finnian’s Church, Kilfinane, Co. Limerick

Architect: G.C. Ashlin Completed in 1884, but designed in 1877-78 with illustrations published in The Building News, March 22nd 1878.

14 March 2013

1884 – St. Mary’s Church of Ireland, Baltinglass, Co. Wicklow

Architect: Richard O’Brien Smyth Selected after an architectural competition, and constructed between 1882-84. In plan, cruciform with a porch to the north-east and a tower to the south-west. Photograph courtesy, and copyright of...

08 April 2011

1884 – Ulster Reform Club, Royal Avenue, Belfast

Architect: Maxwell & Tuke In 1880, a a group of Ulster Liberals debated whether the cause of the Liberal Party should be advanced by formation of a Club in Belfast similar to the...

08 December 2011

1884 – Uncompleted designs for St. Saviour’s Priory, Dublin

Architect: John L. Robinson Design for an priory with enclosed quadrangle adjacent to St. Saviour’s Church. Built in a modified form, the building was never fully completed. Ironically the funds for this building...

17 February 2010

1885 – Commercial Union Building, Grafton Street, Dublin

Architect: T.N. Deane & Son Designed in 1879 by Thomas Manly Deane of T.N Deane & Son as offices for the Commercial Union Assurance Company, this is a fine exercise in Scottish Baronial...

13 November 2009

1885 – Former Greyfriar’s Church, Waterford

Architect: Sir Thomas Drew An appealing small-scale Gothic Revival Methodist Church, designed by Sir Thomas Drew. Although extensively re-modelled to the interior to accommodate its present use as an art gallery, the exterior...

11 June 2014

1885 – Holy Ghost Hospital, Waterford

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan Founded in 1545, in the nineteenth century the hospital removed to the suburbs and in 1882 construction of the present hospital was started. A stone over the main entrance reads...

06 November 2009

1885 – McKenzies Building, Cork

Fine riverside Lombardo-Romanesque warehouse with a continuous glazed arcade on the upper storey over large round-headed openings. The elaborate render detail enlivens the fa├žade of this unusual building, and enhances and articulates the...