Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings of Ireland

17 September 2009

1885 – Thompson Memorial Home for Incurables, Lisburn, Co. Antrim

Architect: Godfrey W. Ferguson This fine building was erected in 1885 as “Thompson House for the Incurables”, named after a local surgeon (William Thompson MD) who had tragically died three years earlier. Endowments...

06 December 2012

1886 – Ceremonial Royal Archways, Belfast, Co. Antrim

A selection of archways erected in Belfast for the 1886 visit of the Prince and Princess of Wales.

02 October 2012

1886 – Church of Ireland Training College, Kildare St., Dublin

Architect: T.N. Deane & Son Completed in stages from 1886 by T.N. Deane & Son, the hall was constructed first in 1886. This was followed by a library and a model classroom wing...

07 May 2014

1886 – Design for Cardinal MacCabe Memorial, Glasnevin, Dublin

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan Premiated designs for memorial to Roman Catholic Prelate Cardinal MacCabe. The competition was won by George C. Ashlin. Illustration published in The Irish Builder, July 1 1886.

25 April 2012

1886 – Design for No.7 Westmoreland Street, Dublin

Architect: Sir Thomas Drew The runner-up in an architectural competition to design offices for the Northern Fire and Life Assurance Company. Published in The Building News, November 19th 1886.

09 June 2010

1886 – Dollard House, Wellington Quay, Dublin

Fronting onto the quays, the former Dollard’s Printworks is now offices. Sited close to the site of the original Custom House by Thomas Burgh, the design with its arched entrances and dormer windows...

05 March 2014

1886 – Downshire Schools, Hillsborough, Co. Down

Architect: William Batt Funded by the Marquess of Downshire. No longer in use as a school, converted into apartments. Published in The Irish Builder, November 15 1886.

06 July 2010

1886 – Former Hospital, Jervis Street, Dublin

Architect: Charles Geoghegan Jervis Street Hospital was a former hospital that became part of Beaumont Hospital, which was completed in 1987. The hospital was founded by six Dublin surgeons as the Charitable Infirmary...

14 February 2014

1886 – Former Post Office, Royal Avenue, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: James H. Owen Belfast’s General Post Office that stood on Royal Avenue, by James Owen of the Board of Works. It was built from Dungannon stone with a machicolated cornice and Romanesque...