Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings of Ireland

12 August 2015

1885 – Fortwilliam Park Presbyterian Church, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Henry Chappell In June 1880, architects were invited to submit plans in a competition with prizes of £30 for the winner and £10 for the runner up. The plan was for a...

11 June 2014

1885 – Holy Ghost Hospital, Waterford

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan Founded in 1545, in the nineteenth century the hospital removed to the suburbs and in 1882 construction of the present hospital was started. A stone over the main entrance reads...

06 November 2009

1885 – McKenzies Building, Cork

Fine riverside Lombardo-Romanesque warehouse with a continuous glazed arcade on the upper storey over large round-headed openings. The elaborate render detail enlivens the façade of this unusual building, and enhances and articulates the...

17 September 2009

1885 – New Homestead, Clogher Park, Co. Tyrone

Architect: Richard Waite Designed for local landowner T.S. Porter esq., published in The Building News, August 28th 1885. Clogher Park was formerly Clogher Palace, the residence of the Church of Ireland bishops of...

29 June 2010

1885 – O’Neill’s, Pearse Street, Dublin

Fine corner Victorian public house facade with four bays to Pearse Street, and six bays to Shaw Street. The shop facade is elaborate timber design with decorative tiles and mosaics, and a glazed...

15 July 2014

1885 – Orange Hall, Clifton St., Belfast

Architect: William Batt The Hall was opened on January 27th, 1885. To mark the bi-centenary of the “Glorious Revolution” of 1688 an equestrian bronze statue, by Henry Hems of Exeter,city coat of arms...

21 October 2012

1885 – Railway Bridge, Killorglin, Co. Kerry

Architect: S.G. Frazer The bridge was erected in 1885 as part of the Farranfore to Renard railway line which was closed in 1960. It is known locally as the Metal Bridge and is...

24 September 2009

1885 – Robinson & Cleaver, Belfast

Architect: Young & Mackenzie Facing City Hall on Donegall Square North, the former Robinson & Cleaver store is now subdivided up into various commercial premises. Belfast has quite a few former department store...

09 April 2014

1885 – Second Presbyterian Church, Ballymoney, Co. Antrim

Architect: Young & Mackenzie The foundation stone of the New Church was laid on the 17th of June, 1884, and the Church was opened for worship on the 11th September, 1885, by the...


Skip to toolbar