Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings of Ireland

08 December 2011

1886 – Unbuilt designs for St. Kevin’s Church, South Circular Road, Dublin

Architect: Sir Thomas Drew The Church of Ireland built a fine gothic church with red sandstone trim to designs by Sir Thomas Drew who produced two alternate designs, illustrated here. The runner-up entry...

04 May 2008

1887 – Greek Orthodox Church, Arbour Hill, Dublin

Architect: George Smith A former National School, the small building is now the home of the Greek Orthodox congregation in Dublin. An external mosaic icon has been added to a closed up window,...

15 October 2012

1887 – Ballymena Castle, Co. Antrim

Architect: W.H. Lynn The original castle of Ballymena was built in the early 17th century, but was burned out in 1720. In 1865 Lord Waveney started building Ballymena Castle, as a magnificent family...

02 March 2014

1887 – Ballynafeigh Orange Hall, Ormeau Rd., Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: William Batt William Batt had designed several other Orange Halls including the Orange Hall in Clifton Street, were he was a member of Eldon L.O.L. No 7. Watt and the hall committee...

31 December 2009

1887 – Cavan & Leitrim Railway Station, Dromod, Co. Leitrim

Architect: Board of Works A modest station on the local narrow guage railway, this is a fine little Victorian station with attached stationmaster’s house. Originally the Cavan, Leitrim and Roscommon Light Railway and...

11 September 2013

1887 – Central Hotel, Exchequer St., Dublin

Architect: Millar & Symes A Dublin landmark, the Central Hotel was opened in 1887. Extended several times in the early 20th century, it was unusual in Dublin at the time of its construction...

24 September 2009

1887 – Derry Guildhall

Architect: J.C. Ferguson / M.A. Robinson The Guildhall was originally built in 1887 by The Honourable The Irish Society at a cost of £19,000.00 and was officially opened in July 1890. Originally designed...

03 May 2010

1887 – McArthur Hall, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: T.N. Deane & Son Built as boarding hall for Methodist College, Belfast. Published in The Building News, October 7th 1887. Ceased to be used as boarding facilities in 2010 and converted to...

16 April 2010

1887 – Northern Bank, Royal Avenue, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: John Lanyon No longer a bank, this fine building was constructed in Dungannon Sandstone with polished granite details including columns. As well as the usual accommodation for the bank branch manager, the...


Skip to toolbar