Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings of Ireland

04 April 2014

1896 – Railway Station, Trooperslane, Co. Antrim

Architect: Berkeley Deane Wise Constructed in 1896 to replace an earlier 1840s building, Wise’s design for the Belfast and Northern Counties Railway was a highly picturesque station in brick and timber. Demolished in...

12 January 2016

1896 – Second Unbuilt Design for Belfast Cathedral

Architect: Sir Thomas Drew In 1896, Sir Thomas Drew produced two designed for a new cathedral for Belfast. The first one, a gothic revival church was shelved due to cost. A second design,...

24 September 2009

1896 – St. George’s Market, Belfast

Architect: J.C. Bretland Recently restored, the markets contain a working fish market and a bric-a-brac market of stalls and traders. Both markets were designed by J.C. Bretland and completed in 1896. In comparison...

01 November 2012

1896 – St. Patrick’s Church, Castlerea, Co. Roscommon

Architect: Goldie, Child & Goldie Imposing catholic church from English architect George Goldie, comprising nave, transepts, side aisles with two-storey sacristy to east and four-stage tower to north end of west front. The...

12 January 2016

1896 – Unbuilt Design for Belfast Cathedral

Architect: Sir Thomas Drew A gothic revival design for St. Ann’s Church of Ireland Cathedral in Belfast by Sir Thomas Drew. Drew also produced a second design with a more Romanesque appearance which...

31 December 2009

1897 – Former Library, Fr. Mathew Hall, Athlone, Co. Westmeath

The old library, which was in Fr. Mathew Hall since the 1950s, has now been vacated and Keith Williams Architects have done a feasibility study for its future use as an art gallery....

17 July 2013

1897 – Former National Bank, 62-68 High Street, Belfast

Architect: William Batt The National Bank Ltd, a bank founded by Daniel O’Connell in 1835 had branches in Ireland and Britain. The Irish branches were acquired by Bank of Ireland in 1965 and...

11 February 2010

1897 – Former St. Andrew’s National Schools, Pearse Street, Dublin

Architect: William Hague Now a community resource centre, this fine Victorian building was constructed as boys and girls national schools in 1895-97. The five part composition has a central breakfront with decorative terracotta...

17 July 2011

1897 – Hogg and Mitchell Shirt Factory, Derry, Co. Derry

Architect: William Barker

01 April 2010

1897 – No.48 Mary Street, Dublin

Architect: William Kaye-Parry Corner commercial premises with large glazed areas on the side elevation (now largely blocked up). Some of the external detailing may date post-1916.