Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings of Ireland

03 March 2014

1888 – Second Design for Northern Assurance Co., Westmoreland Street, Dublin

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan Entrant in an architectural competition to design offices for the Northern Fire and Life Assurance Company. O’Callaghan entered two external designs, an approach that was common enough in Victorian architectural...

24 April 2011

1889 – Alexandra College, Earlsfort Terrace, Dublin

Architect: William Kaye-Parry Alexandra College was founded in 1874 at No.6 Earlsfort Terrace. By 1879, a new hall and theatre was constructed alongside. Over time, they acquired several more houses and by 1889...

17 September 2012

1889 – Cassidy Monument, Glasnevin Cemetery, Dublin

Architect: Charles Geoghegan From The Irish Builder: “The contact for the erection of the monument to the late Matthew Cassidty Esq., an illustration of which is given with our present number, has been...

18 October 2011

1889 – Coast Guard Station, Ballydavid, Co. Kerry

Arhitect: Robert Cochrane Standard public works arrangement for coast guard facilities around the coastline. They usually had a terrace of three or more houses with a taller house or tower to one end....

26 January 2012

1889 – Crawford Municipal Schools of Science & Art, Cork

Architect: Arthur Hill Perpective view published in ‘The Architect’ July 12th, 1889. Previously known as the Cork School of Art, William H. Crawford was induced to support an extension to the school in...

01 March 2014

1889 – Design for Ulster Bank, College Green, Dublin

Architect: James J. Farrall Unsuccessful competition entry to design new Ulster Bank for College Green. Placed second, and even more over-blown Victorian than the building constructed and eventually wrecked by the bank.

06 November 2009

1889 – Holy Trinity & Capuchin Monastery, Cork

Architect: George Pain / William Atkins / Dominic J. Coakley / Robert Walker This fabulous church façade took many years to realise. Originally commissioned by Fr Mathew in 1825 from George Pain, the...

20 February 2012

1889 – Munster & Leinster Bank, Waterford

Architect: Arthur Hill Former branch of the Munster & Leinster Bank, later replaced by a building completed in 1925. The Munster & Leinster Bank was formed in 1886, and this was their first...

26 April 2012

1889 – No.6 Westmoreland Street, Dublin

Architect: James J. Farrall Rebuilt by the architect James J. Farrall in 1889, who had his own office in one of the upper floors.


Skip to toolbar