Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings of Ireland

29 October 2012

1896 – Gallaher Tobacco Factory, York Street, Belfast

Architect: Samuel Stevenson Architects Gallaher Tobacco Company, now part of Japan Tobacco, was originally founded in Derry in 1857 by Tom Gallaher. By 1896, he had opened the largest tobacco factory in the...

09 July 2014

1896 – Railway Station, Carnalea, Co. Down

Architect: George P. Culverwell First opened by the B.C.D.R. (Belfast & County Down Railway) in 1877 with only an up platform, and a brake van as an office. The company built a station...

04 April 2014

1896 – Railway Station, Trooperslane, Co. Antrim

Architect: Berkeley Deane Wise Constructed in 1896 to replace an earlier 1840s building, Wise’s design for the Belfast and Northern Counties Railway was a highly picturesque station in brick and timber. Demolished in...

24 September 2009

1896 – St. George’s Market, Belfast

Architect: J.C. Bretland Recently restored, the markets contain a working fish market and a bric-a-brac market of stalls and traders. Both markets were designed by J.C. Bretland and completed in 1896. In comparison...

01 November 2012

1896 – St. Patrick’s Church, Castlerea, Co. Roscommon

Architect: Goldie, Child & Goldie Imposing catholic church from English architect George Goldie, comprising nave, transepts, side aisles with two-storey sacristy to east and four-stage tower to north end of west front. The...

31 December 2009

1897 – Former Library, Fr. Mathew Hall, Athlone, Co. Westmeath

The old library, which was in Fr. Mathew Hall since the 1950s, has now been vacated and Keith Williams Architects have done a feasibility study for its future use as an art gallery....

17 July 2013

1897 – Former National Bank, 62-68 High Street, Belfast

Architect: William Batt The National Bank Ltd, a bank founded by Daniel O’Connell in 1835 had branches in Ireland and Britain. The Irish branches were acquired by Bank of Ireland in 1965 and...

11 February 2010

1897 – Former St. Andrew’s National Schools, Pearse Street, Dublin

Architect: William Hague Now a community resource centre, this fine Victorian building was constructed as boys and girls national schools in 1895-97. The five part composition has a central breakfront with decorative terracotta...

17 July 2011

1897 – Hogg and Mitchell Shirt Factory, Derry, Co. Derry

Architect: William Barker