Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings of Ireland

30 January 2014

1892 – Queen’s Quay Railway Station, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Originally opened by the Belfast & County Down Railway in 1848, the station at Queen’s Quay was rebuilt in 1910-14, extending the original building on both sides. The Belfast Holywood & Bangor Railway...

29 January 2015

1892 – Railway Station, Newport, Co. Mayo

The first station on the Westport to Achill Sound extension was Newport which opened in February 1894, on completion of a nearby tunnel at the end of Newport Station. It was closed in...

29 January 2015

1892 – Railway Tunnel, Newport, Co. Mayo

The Westport railway line was extended to Achill Sound in the 1890s. and this was one of the so-called ‘Balfour Lines’, called after Arthur J. Balfour, Chief Secretary for Ireland during the years...

05 February 2010

1892 – Roberts House, Dublin Zoo, Phoenix Park, Dublin

Architect: L.A. McDonnell The finest building in the zoo, this little gem is still in use and maintained in good condition. A decorative brick exterior masks a wonderful toplit interior space with fine...

06 January 2010

1892 – St. Joseph’s Redemptorist Church and Monastery, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Architect: G.C. Ashlin Built in two phases, the monastery 1879-1880, and the church 1890-1892, both designed by G.C. Ashlin and finished in Newry granite. It by James McAdorey, a Belfast man who had...

07 January 2010

1892 – St. Mary’s Church, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: P.J. Dodd Designed by a local architect, P.J. Dodd, St Mary’s is another large Catholic church in a gothic style. The exterior is dominated by the slender tower and spire. At ground...

14 January 2013

1893 – Corrib Viaduct, Galway

In the 1890s, the Midland Great Western Railway Company was provided with a government grant of £264,000 to build a line from Galway across Connemara to Clifden. The line was opened to Clifden...

20 July 2015

1893 – Design for Pembroke Technical Schools, Ringsend, Dublin

Architect: Frederick Morley Unsuccessful entrant in competition won by William Kaye-Parry. “The above building is just now approaching completion As our readers may remember the first stone was laid in the month of...

13 April 2010

1893 – Dublin City Fruit Markets, Little Mary Street, Dublin

Architect: Parke Neville Still Dublin’s Fruit Markets and best observed early in the day when they are still invigorated by the hustle of business, the building consists of elegant victorian steelwork masked behind...


Skip to toolbar