Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings of Ireland

19 February 2010

1892 – Former Synagogue, Adelaide Road, Dublin

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan The first purpose built Synagogue in Ireland, this building cost over 5,000 pounds in 1892 to build. Designed in a vaguely Byzantine style, the building was extended in 1925 to...

04 February 2010

1892 – Mercantile Seaman Office, Eden Quay, Dublin

Architect: J. Howard Pentland A stern stone-faced building both in material and aspect, the Mercantile Seaman Office is a late 19th century commercial building in very unusual style. Unusual for Dublin, stylistically a...

16 February 2010

1892 – Post Office, James Street, Dublin

Architect: J. Howard Pentland Fine little post office and adjoined sorting office by architect J. Howard Pentland. The Board of Works at this time was producing fine post offices across Ireland with a...

30 January 2014

1892 – Queen’s Quay Railway Station, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Originally opened by the Belfast & County Down Railway in 1848, the station at Queen’s Quay was rebuilt in 1910-14, extending the original building on both sides. The Belfast Holywood & Bangor Railway...

29 January 2015

1892 – Railway Station, Newport, Co. Mayo

The first station on the Westport to Achill Sound extension was Newport which opened in February 1894, on completion of a nearby tunnel at the end of Newport Station. It was closed in...

29 January 2015

1892 – Railway Tunnel, Newport, Co. Mayo

The Westport railway line was extended to Achill Sound in the 1890s. and this was one of the so-called ‘Balfour Lines’, called after Arthur J. Balfour, Chief Secretary for Ireland during the years...

05 February 2010

1892 – Roberts House, Dublin Zoo, Phoenix Park, Dublin

Architect: L.A. McDonnell The finest building in the zoo, this little gem is still in use and maintained in good condition. A decorative brick exterior masks a wonderful toplit interior space with fine...

06 January 2010

1892 – St. Joseph’s Redemptorist Church and Monastery, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Architect: G.C. Ashlin Built in two phases, the monastery 1879-1880, and the church 1890-1892, both designed by G.C. Ashlin and finished in Newry granite. It by James McAdorey, a Belfast man who had...

07 January 2010

1892 – St. Mary’s Church, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: P.J. Dodd Designed by a local architect, P.J. Dodd, St Mary’s is another large Catholic church in a gothic style. The exterior is dominated by the slender tower and spire. At ground...

Skip to toolbar