Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings of Ireland

29 March 2012

1900 – Royal Triumphal Archway, Leeson Street, Dublin

Architect: Sir Thomas Drew Temporary gateway erected for the visit of Queen Victoria to Dublin in 1900. A ceremonial affair, the Queen was to enter the city boundaries and be given the keys...

28 January 2010

1900 – Seaside Terrace, Sutton, Co. Dublin

A fine terrace in good condition with varied decorative features. One side has an ornate latticed veranda to ground floor. with a decorative turret and gable to attic windows. The other side is...

01 October 2012

1900 – St. Joseph’s Church, Park St., Monaghan

Architect: William Hague Fine barn style gothic church by William Hague who finished the town’s cathedral after the death of the architect J.J. McCarthy. Construction begun in summer of 1891, with work completed...

23 January 2015

1900 – The Fountain, Clones, Co. Monaghan

Memorial fountain to Queen Victoria, manufactured by a Glaswegian firm, Walter McFarland & Co., in the hundreds for locations throughout the British Empire. Demolished in a traffic accident and never repaired. A similar...

16 October 2014

1900 – Water Tower, Curragh Camp, Co. Kildare

Architect: Richard Randall Large brick water tower, eighty-five feet high and 35 feet square. Randall was a Surveyor in the War Department, and stationed at the Curragh Camp from around 1885 until his...

01 February 2010

1900 – Whooley’s Pharmacy, Sandymount, Dublin

Originally built as a Chandler’s shop, the Art Nouveau facade was added around 1900 to add light to the interior. Has since been adapted to a restaurant and now a chemist’s shop.

21 March 2013

1901 – Dublin Bread Company, O’Connell St., Dublin

Architect: George F. Beckett A massively overscaled building on Lower O’Connell Street, and a landmark for only 15 years. A popular restaurant at first floor level, withe smoking rooms and recessed balconies on...

05 February 2010

1901 – Former Bank, Ormond Quay, Dublin

Architect: Millar & Symes Former bank branch with fine 1930s interior. The exterior has a fine bull-nosed corner executed in stone to contrast with the brickwork.

13 April 2010

1901 – Former Fire Station, Dorset Street, Dublin

Architect: C.J. McCarthy A fine fire station designed by the city architect C.J McCarthy in 1901, this was one of a series designed by the architect in the city. The others are on...