Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings of Ireland

18 February 2010

1895 – The Stags Head, Dame Court, Dublin

Architect: Alfred I. McGloughlin One of Dublin’s most lavish late Victorian pubs, The Stags Head was built in 1895. It is for a reason that Dublin barmen were known as curates and this...

19 February 2010

1895 – Upper Baggot Street, Dublin

One side of Upper Baggot Street has been mostly rebuilt or a mixture of architectural periods. The northern side of the street is a fairly unified Victorian streetscape with some fine shopfronts and...

03 March 2015

1895 – Whitla Street Fire Station, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: J.C. Bretland Demolished in the early 1970s for a modern replacement, after the area was cleared for a motorway. Josiah Corbett Bretland was Borough surveyor of Belfast between 1884-1903. As city surveyor...

13 June 2014

1896 – All Souls Church, Elmwood Avenue, Belfast

Architect: George W. Planck Second Presbyterian Congregation founded in 1708, with the York Street Congregation founded in 1840. Present building largely completed in 1896. Design chosen after an architectural competition in 1895 –...

25 January 2014

1896 – Design for Belfast City Hall

Architect: Stark & Rowntree Premiated design in architectural competition to design new City Hall for Belfast. Mr. (afterwards Sir) Brumwell Thomas was selected, and work began in 1898 and was completed in 1906.

11 June 2010

1896 – Dolphin House, Essex Street, Dublin

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan Originally the Dolphin Hotel, a famous Dublin hostelry, this has now been converted to office space for the courts service. A fine Victorian exterior with much decoration including a very...

28 September 2009

1896 – First Trust Bank, Armagh, Co. Armagh

Architect: Watt & Tulloch In comparison to earlier bank buildings, this First Trust branch (AIB in the Republic of Ireland) is relatively modest

07 January 2010

1896 – Firstactive Bank, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architects: Walter G. Doolin Originally built as a branch of the Munster and Leinster Bank, this building by Walter G. Doolinis a hybrid of styles. The ground floor has an arcade of tall...

26 January 2010

1896 – Former Rathmines Town Hall, Dublin

Architect: Sir Thomas Drew Around the city centre of Dublin was many smaller independent towns including Rathmines. Although now considered part of the city centre, Rathmines boasts the most impressive of the townhalls...


Skip to toolbar