Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings of Ireland

19 February 2010

1901 – Royal Victoria Eye and Ear Hospital, Adelaide Road, Dublin

Architect: Carroll & Batchelor The ‘Eye and Ear’ as it is known opened in 1901 in a Queen Anne inspired symmetrical design by Carroll & Batchelor. Internally the circulation spaces were skimped on...

31 December 2009

1901 – Sligo Post Office, Co. Sligo

Architect: Board of Works A fine post office with shallow, bow-fronted end bays with beautiful banded brick. Above the pedimented doorway inscriptions read ‘ Post Office’ and E 1901 R’. The handsome red...

13 January 2014

1901 – St. Aiden’s Church, Drumcondra, Dublin

Architect: Richard Orpen Chapel-of-ease for the St. George’s Parish. The building was built to accommodate 400 people. Demolished to make way for a rectory in 1963.

15 March 2012

1901 – St. Silas Church, Cliftonville Road, Belfast

Architect: Thomas Roe Opened in 1901, and completing destroyed during the air raids on Belfast in 1941. According to the Irish Builder of December 1 1900, only the nave and chancel were to...

20 May 2015

1901 – Temperance Hotel, Whitehead, Co. Antrim

Originally opened as a Temperance Hotel at the railway excursion resort of Whitehead. Later known as Sunshine House, now a much altered private residence.

25 September 2009

1901 – Townhall, Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh

Architect: Anthony & William Scott Designed by Anthony Scott with his son William as a competition entry in 1897, the Townhall was not completed until four years later, and cost twice its original...

06 November 2009

1902 – Beamish & Crawford Stabling, Cork

Architect: Houston & Houston The former Stables for the Beamish & Crawford brewery and now an enterprise centre, this is one of the best industrial buildings in the city. The corner office is...

19 July 2010

1902 – Carnegie Library and Museum at Limerick

Architect: C.F.A. Voysey Unsuccessful entry for a competition for a new public library for Limerick. This design heavily influenced the 1912 Library, Clondalkin, Co. Dublin by T.J. Byrne.

28 March 2011

1902 – Former Bank, Thomas Street, Dublin

Architect: W.H. Byrne Former branch of the Hibernian Bank, later the Bank of Ireland. The building has fine, tiling, panelling and ceiling mouldings intact. The large wooden bank counter is sadly gone.