Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings of Ireland

27 March 2012

1912 – Liffey Bridge Gallery Proposal, Dublin

Architect: Sir Edwin Lutyens Intended to house the collection of Sir Hugh Lane, and to replace the Wellington Bridge (Ha’penny Bridge,) Lutyens design was rejected by the city corporation. Lane was keen to...

24 September 2009

1912 – McAuley’s Hotel, Carnlough, Co. Antrim

Small former hotel building with elaborate Art Nouveau inspired stucco work.

17 February 2010

1912 – Nos.102-3 Grafton Street, Dublin

Architect: W.H. Byrne & Son Originally constructed for West & Son, in a style heavily influenced by Richard Norman Shaw’s work in England. Described as having a “Louis XVI interior”.

03 December 2010

1912 – Phoenix Cinema, Ellis Quay, Dublin

Architect: Francis Bergin Once every neighbourhood or major street had its own cinema, many are sadly gone. The Phoenix lives on, but as a furniture store. However a glimpse inside shows original staircases...

04 May 2010

1912 – Scherzer Bridges, North Wall Quay, Dublin

Built to allow water based traffic to access the Royal Canal and Spencer Docks, these unusual bridges are also designed to keep seawater out of the docks. No longer operational due to the...

21 January 2013

1912 – St. Mary’s College, Galway

Architect: William A. Scott Seen here before the addition of the extra storey of 1939 flattened the highly original composition. An abstraction of collegiate gothic into a distinctly early twentieth century style with...

24 September 2009

1912 – The Square, Cushendun, Co. Antrim

Architect: Clough William-Ellis Designed by the architect Clough William-Ellis for the local landowner, this group of seven two-storey houses around three sides of a square is firmly in the arts and crafts movement....

07 March 2013

1913 – Church of Christ the Redeemer, Myshall, Co. Carlow

Architect: G.C. Ashlin Also known as the Adelaide Memorial Church. Built as a memorial to Constance Duguid, an englishwoman who was engaged to be married to a member of a local landowning family....

05 April 2011

1913 – Coliseum Theatre, MacCurtain Street, Cork

Architect: Arthur & Henry H. Hill Constructed as a Picture Theatre, the Coliseum remained in used until the 1970s.