Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings of Ireland

26 January 2010

1913 – Former Courthouse, Rathfarnham, Co. Dublin

Un-assuming little building built as the Court of Petty Sessions – public entrance at one end, and a room for the judge behind the bench.

28 March 2015

1913 – House, Foxrock, Co. Dublin

Architect: William Whymper Domestic house by English architect William Whymper, one of two buildings in Foxrock that he designed. His other local commission was the clubhouse at Foxrock Golf Club. It is unclear...

29 September 2009

1913 – Houses, Carrickmacross, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Charles M. Tuite Fine stone house with decorative bargeboards and porches. Sadly missing their original window design.

09 June 2010

1913 – Jesuit Residence UCD, Hatch Street, Dublin

Architect: C.B. Powell Probably the strangest 20th Century building in Dublin and definitely the last hurrah of Victorian Gothic for a religious based institution, this little known building is tucked away on Hatch...

07 April 2010

1913 – No. 62 Upper O’Connell Street, Dublin

Architect: A.V. O’Rourke With its giant Ionic order, this former theatre (the Pillar Picture House) is now sadly in use as a fast food restaurant. The ground level has been clumsily altered, but...

08 April 2010

1913 – Salvation Army, Abbey Street, Dublin

Architect: Oswald Archer An unusual small building with elaborate gable and very small windows which are made to look smaller by the clumsy overscaled doorway.

23 September 2009

1913 – St. Colman’s Cathedral, Cobh, Co. Cork

Architect: E.W. Pugin & G.C. Ashlin Designed by Edward W. Pugin and George Ashlin, this magnificent cathedral, which dominates Cork Harbour from land and sea, took 47 years to build, and was completed...

17 September 2009

1913 – St. Cronan’s Church, Balla, Co. Mayo

Architect: Doolin & Butler This church is considered as one of the best designed by R.M. Butler and was commissioned at the same time as his church in Newport which it resembles. The...

23 April 2012

1914 – Former Broadway Cinema, Manor Street, Dublin

Architect: Opened in 1914, the cinema sat 630 people and was originally known as the Manor Cinema. Later, it was known as the Palladium, and then finally the Broadway Manor Street Cinema. A...