Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings of Ireland

21 February 2010

1919 – Gainsboro House, Suffolk Street, Dublin

Architect: Frederick Hayes Good example of early 20th century Dublin commercial building. Many building similar in style were built in the Abbey Street area during its reconstruction after the Civil War.

22 March 2011

1919 – Munster & Leinster Bank, O’Connell St., Dublin

Architect: McDonnell & Dixon Fine classical bank building turning a corner elegantly from O’Connell Street onto Abbey Street. The relief sculpture over the door was by George A. Power. No longer in use...

17 August 2013

1919 – No. 13 O’Connell Street Lower, Dublin

Architect: Ralph H. Byrne Built after the previous branch of the Hibernian Bank was destroyed in the fighting during the 1916 Easter Rising. The previous building was by O’Neill & Byrne and was...

19 February 2010

1919 – Permanent TSB Bank, Upper Baggot Street, Dublin

Architect: Fuller & Jermyn Fine ornate bank at the start to the largely Victorian streetscape of Upper Baggot Street. Constructed as a public house. Originally two different buildings, the building has good quality...

08 April 2010

1920 – Abbey Chambers, Abbey Street, Dublin

A fine commercial premises with good quality glazed terracotta fa├žade (damaged at street level) which has received an Elizabethan stylistic treatment.

21 February 2010

1920 – Automobile Association, Suffolk Street, Dublin

Architect: George L. O’Connor The offices of the Automobile Association are contained within this ornate office building from the early part of the 20th century.

20 March 2014

1920 – Capitol Theatre, Princes Street, Dublin

Architect: T.F. McNamara The Capitol Theatre, located just off O’Connell Street, Dublin, began life on 10 August 1920 as the La Scala Theatre and Opera House. Constructed on the former site of Freeman’s...

07 April 2010

1920 – Clery’s Department Store, O’Connell Street, Dublin

Architect: Ashlin & Coleman A Dublin landmark – opposite the General Post Office on O’Connell Street, Clery’s has for generations being a Dublin and indeed Irish tradition – meeting under the clock being...

04 February 2010

1920 – Former Screen Cinema, Eden Quay, Dublin

Architect: T.F. McNamara / Jones & Kelly Originally rebuilt after the 1916 destruction of this part of Dublin, as the Corinthian Cinema, photographs from the 1950s show it encased in neon. It was...