Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings of Ireland

29 September 2009

1926 – Former Great Northern Railway Engine Shed, Clones, Co. Monaghan

Architect: F.A. Champion Legend has it, that a member of the local Madden family who were major shareholders in the Great Northern Railway visited Milan. While there, he visited a new railway engine...

07 April 2010

1926 – Hammam Building, O’Connell Street, Dublin

Architect: Chillingworth & Levie / H.G. Leask Part of the post-1916 rebuilding of this part of O’Connell Street, quite an austere facade with some nice detailing. Named after the Hammam Family Hotel and...

06 November 2009

1926 – Winthrop Arcade, Cork

Architect: Chillingworth & Levie One of Munster’s oldest covered shopping arcades, Winthrop Arcade, built in 1926, has a distinctive mock Tudor façade. The original polished brass shop fronts with stained mahogany doors remain...

16 February 2010

1927 – Dublin City Council Offices, Lord Edward Street, Dublin

Architect: McDonnell & Dixon A modest office building used by Dublin City Council. Originally a much grander proposal was planned for this site, which was selected after a major architectural competition in 1913,...

10 June 2010

1927 – Former Gorevan’s Department Store, Camden Street, Dublin

Architect: Rudolph Maximilian Butler A fine concrete building with its structure clearly visible, this former Department Store is now empty after been used as the headquarters of the Irish Nationwide Building Society. The...

08 January 2010

1927 – Garda Station, Maynooth, Co. Kildare

Architect: Board of Works Combined Garda Station and house for the local Sargent. Probably built by the Board of Public Works between the 1930-50s, when this was a standard arrangement in small towns...

07 April 2010

1927 – Gresham Hotel, O’Connell Street, Dublin

Architect: Robert Atkinson Rebuilt (1925-27) after the ravages of the Civil War, the Gresham Hotel is a Dublin landmark. It was designed by Robert Atkinson (b Wigton, Cumbria, 1 Aug 1883; d London,...

06 November 2009

1927 – No 48-49 St. Patrick’s Street, Cork

Architect: W.H. Hill Former Burtons store on St. Patrick’s Street now in use by another retailer with upper floors used as storage. A very unsympathetic shop façade does this fine stone building no...

05 November 2009

1927 – No. 51 – 54 St. Patrick’s Street, Cork

Architect: James F. McMullen Ornate large former department store building now divided into smaller retail units. The upper storeys look neglected and the whole building has a forlorn air. The property was Grant’s...