Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings of Ireland

05 November 2009

1927 – No. 51 – 54 St. Patrick’s Street, Cork

Architect: James F. McMullen Ornate large former department store building now divided into smaller retail units. The upper storeys look neglected and the whole building has a forlorn air. The property was Grant’s...

24 September 2009

1927 – St. Ann’s Church of Ireland Cathedral, Belfast

Architect: Sir Thomas Drew, W.H. Lynn St Anne’s Cathedral is built on the site of St Anne’s Church – Belfast’s first Church of Ireland parish. St Anne’s Church existed from 1776 (foundation stone...

28 September 2009

1928 – Belturbet Town Hall, Co. Cavan

Architect: Patrick J. Brady Public building with few architectural pretensions other than the round-headed windows at ground level and the small, awkwardly proportioned pediment. Brady was an architect and civil engineer, of Ballyhaise,...

17 February 2010

1928 – Dublin Gas Company, D’Olier Street, Dublin

Architect: Robinson Keefe The former headquarters of the Dublin Gas Company (built in 1928) has two facades with two different architectural styles. The main facade onto D’Olier Street is Art Deco with a...

22 April 2013

1928 – First Church of Christ, Scientist, Baggot St., Dublin

Architect: Millar & Symes Millar & Symes were well-known for designing bank buildings, and this church, designed in 1925, resembles one. The foundation stone was laid in 1927, with the church opening in...

24 September 2009

1928 – Former Bank of Ireland, Royal Avenue, Belfast

Architect: McDonnell & Dixon A fabulous Art Deco building finished in Portland Limestone, on an important corner site in Belfast, this Bank of Ireland branch closes off the long Royal Avenue vista. The...

07 October 2014

1928 – Town Hall, Ballymena, Co. Antrim

Architect: Jones & Kelly Jones & Kelly were chosen as a result of an architectural competition held in 1920. The site chosen was the location of the town’s markethouse. A Market House was...

17 July 2011

1928 – Upperchurch, Thurles, Co. Tipperary

By an unknown architect and supposedly the second church in Ireland to be constructed largely of concrete.

18 February 2010

1929 – Former Bank, South Great George’s Street, Dublin

Architect: Frederick Jermyn Former bank building, now converted into a bar. Constructed in 1929 for the National Bank. Jermyn was principal assistant to J.F. Fuller before going into partnership with him in 1916,...