Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings of Ireland

04 February 2010

1920 – Former Screen Cinema, Eden Quay, Dublin

Architect: T.F. McNamara / Jones & Kelly Originally rebuilt after the 1916 destruction of this part of Dublin, as the Corinthian Cinema, photographs from the 1950s show it encased in neon. It was...

12 February 2014

1920s – Design for Stormont, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Sir Arnold Thornely After the partition of Ireland with the Government of Ireland Act, 1920, plans for a large domed building with two subsidiary side buildings, housing all three branches of government...

10 October 2013

1920s – Phoenix Park Racecourse, Dublin

Phoenix Park Racecourse was located on the northern edge of the Phoenix Park in Dublin. Founded by J.H.H. Peard, racing began here in 1902, closed for racing in late 1990. The racecourse had...

04 February 2010

1921 – Former Astor Cinema, Eden Quay, Dublin

Architect: Frederick W. Higginbotham Replacing two buildings destroyed in the 1916 Rising, Nos. 7-8 Eden Quay was re-constructed as a ballroom and commercial premises. It was later converted into the Astor Cinema. Closed...

04 February 2010

1921 – No.2 Eden Quay, Dublin

Architect: T.J. Cullen A good early 20th century building dating from after the destruction of the area in the 1916 Rising. A symmetrical fa├žade allows for an entryway into Old Abbey Street which...

04 February 2010

1921 – Seamens Institute, Eden Quay, Dublin

Architect: W.M. Mitchell & Sons The Seamens Institute on the corner of Marlborough Street and Eden Quay is another early 20th century building after the area was decimated during the 1916 Rising.

15 July 2010

1922 – 22/23 Henry Street, Dublin

Architect: McDonnell & Dixon

19 December 2011

1922 – Abercrombie Proposal for National Cathedral, Dublin

Architect: Patrick Abercrombie, Sydney Kelly, Arthur Kelly In 1916 the Civics Institute of Ireland held a competition for suggestions and designs for the city planning of Dublin. The winner was Patrick Abercrombie of...

08 January 2010

1922 – Allied Irish Banks, Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: Thomas Scully Grandiose bank branch with living accommodation for the local manager above. There was great competition in many Irish towns for the most imposing branch, as prestige could attract customers. This...


Skip to toolbar