Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings of Ireland

31 January 2014

1923 – Northern Bank Buildings, Strabane, Co. Tyrone

Architect: Henry Seaver Fine brick and stone bank on a barrow wedge-shaped corner site. No longer in use as a bank, but now a cellphone store, the carved lettering “bank” still visible over...

21 October 2014

1923 – Proposed Reconstruction of Upper O’Connell Street, Dublin

Architect: Horace T. O’Rourke The rebuilding of Lower Sackville Street was almost complete after the destruction of 1916 when civil war broke out in 1922. The north-eastern side of the street, from Cathedral...

08 April 2010

1924 – Independent House, Abbey Street, Dublin

Architect: Robert Donnelly The former headquarters of the Independent Group of newspapers who publish three of Ireland’s most popular titles: The Irish Independent; The Sunday Independent; and the Evening Herald. It is an...

07 April 2010

1924 – No. 57 Upper O’Connell Street, Dublin

Architect: H.V. Millar No. 57 (right hand building in photograph) was rebuilt in 1922 as a chemist shop for A. & R. Thwaites, whose name can still be seen incised on the granite...

26 April 2010

1925 – Marino Mart, Fairview, Dublin

Architect: Donnelly Moore & Keatinge Suburban mix of shops, commercial space and living accommodation constructed along two streets, turning a corner with an angled range. All the buildings are mansard roofed with the...

10 November 2009

1925 – Ashe Memorial Hall, Tralee, Co, Kerry

Built as local authority offices, the Ashe Memorial Hall sits at one end of Denny Street, dedicated to the memory of Thomas Ashe. The building is built of local sandstone and houses the...

05 November 2009

1925 – Brown Thomas, St. Patrick’s Street, Cork

Architect: Henry H. Hill Built in the 1920s to the design of architect Henry H. Hill, this building replaced an earlier department store on the site which was burnt in 1920 along with...

01 April 2014

1925 – Engine Roundhouse, Portadown, Co. Armagh

Architect: F.A. Champion One of two roundhouses to the same design on the Great Northern Railway system – the other at Clones still stands today. Built in 1925 out of reinforced concrete, its...

26 April 2010

1925 – Former DUTC Depot, Marlborough Street, Dublin

Architect: Patrick F. O’Sullivan Former depot belonging to the Dublin United Tramways Company and now in use by Dublin Bus.


Skip to toolbar