Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings of Ireland

03 May 2010

1955 – Former Meath Hospital, Heytesbury St., Dublin

Architect: Robinson Keefe Devane Extension to the original 19th century hosipital in a Dutch modern style. Extended in 1962 by the same architects. Three substantial interlinked blocks make up this stage of the...

28 September 2009

1956 – Church of the Immaculate Conception, Belturbet, Co. Cavan

Architect: William H. Byrne & Son Unattractive church from the 1950s, designed by Simon Leonard of William H. Byrne & Son, Dublin. The building is described by the diocese as Hiberno-Romanesque but somehow...

26 April 2010

1957 – Christian Brothers School, Fairview, Dublin

Architect: O’Connor & Aylward Best described as mid-century Irish religious institutional, this school for the Christian Brothers was built alongside an earlier building.

09 June 2010

1957 – Dublin Corporation Unbuilt Proposal, Wood Quay, Dublin

Architect: Jones & Kelly The site at Wood Quay had been earmarked as a site for the headquarters of Dublin Corporation since the 1950s. Many schemes had already been proposed including this when...

02 April 2011

1957 – Nos. 16-17 Suffolk Street, Dublin

Architect: W.M. Mitchell & Sons Mid century office building that replaced two ornate Victorian commercial buildings by J.J. O’Callaghan. Built for Friends’ Provident & Century Assurance Co.

31 December 2009

1957 – St. Mary’s Church, Coolfancy, Co. Wicklow

Simple barnlike church with rendered exterior and small belfry on gable. Largely rebuilt in the 1950s.

07 April 2010

1959 – Dublin Bus, O’Connell Street, Dublin

Architect: Brendan Ellis & G.P. O’Shea An infill building on the western side of O’Connell Street, the Dublin Bus offices was originally built for its parent company Coras Iompair Eireann. The façade features...

22 January 2010

1959 – North Terminal, Dublin Airport

Architect: Department of Transport and Power Interesting little mid-century modern building with sculpted roof profile. Now in use as offices. The original terminal was planned to handle a maximum of 250,000 passengers per...

24 February 2012

1959 – St. Mary’s National School, Glaslough, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Office of Public Works Fine example of a standardised design school from the Office of Public Works. There was a range of different sizes ranging from three classrooms upwards. While this school...