Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings of Ireland

10 June 2010

1948 – Post Office, Andrew Street, Dublin

Architect: Sidney Maskell & John Fox A large building, the Post Office was built to replace an earlier on on nearby Church Lane which links Andrew and Suffolk Streets to College Green. The...

15 March 2010

1948 – The Hydro, Tramore, Co Waterford

Architect: Patrick Sheahan Opened in 1948 ‘The Hydro’’ had a staff of seven and housed a number of sea baths as well as a restaurant. Demolished.

22 November 2011

1949 – Aspro Factory, Dublin

Architect: Alan Hope Drawing for design of staircase and entrance foyer. Winner of the RIAI Gold Medal for the period 1947-1950. Demolished.

12 June 2010

1950s – Former Veterinary College, Ballsbridge, Dublin

Architect: Two separate veterinary schools were run by UCD and TCD at the Ballsbridge site and this continued until 1977 when the two schools were merged and fully incorporated into UCD. With an...

07 January 2010

1950s – Teelan’s Shop, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Fabulous shop exterior from the 1950s with intact lettering and wild octagonal windows. The interior is a similar time warp. Long may it survive.

17 November 2014

1951 – Boland’s Biscuit Mills, Grand Canal Street, Dublin

Architect: Samuel Stevenson & Son Built on the site of a building occupied by Éamon de Valera during the 1916 Easter Rising, DeValera would later be President of Ireland, a fact commemorated by...

07 January 2010

1951 – Post Office, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: Office of Public Works Designed by Seymour Rice and Ronald Tallon (later of Scott Tallon Walker) while staff of the Office of Public Works. The main public office has an airy bright...

30 December 2007

1953 – Busáras, Store St., Dublin

Architect: Michael Scott Busáras is one of the first post Second World War examples of the International Modern style in Europe. Busáras was designed by Michael Scott and his team of young architects...

01 February 2010

1953 – Donnybrook Bus Garage, Donnybrook, Dublin

Architect: Michael Scott Donnybrook Bus Garage was completed in 1952. This was a much more radical building than Inchicore and was designed in association with the Danish engineer Ove Arup (1895-1988) whom Michael...