Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings of Ireland

07 January 2010

1951 – Post Office, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: Office of Public Works Designed by Seymour Rice and Ronald Tallon (later of Scott Tallon Walker) while staff of the Office of Public Works. The main public office has an airy bright...

30 December 2007

1953 – Busáras, Store St., Dublin

Architect: Michael Scott Busáras is one of the first post Second World War examples of the International Modern style in Europe. Busáras was designed by Michael Scott and his team of young architects...

01 February 2010

1953 – Donnybrook Bus Garage, Donnybrook, Dublin

Architect: Michael Scott Donnybrook Bus Garage was completed in 1952. This was a much more radical building than Inchicore and was designed in association with the Danish engineer Ove Arup (1895-1988) whom Michael...

08 February 2010

1953 – Moyne Institute, Trinity College Dublin

Architect: Desmond Fitzgerald

27 January 2010

1953 – Passenger Terminal, Carlisle Pier, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

Architect: Office of Public Works Recently demolished, this 1950s ferry terminal hid a Victorian railway station. The passenger terminal was designed as a temporary measure to be replaced at a later stage with...

03 May 2013

1953 – Synagogue, Terenure, Dublin

Architect: Wilfrid Cantwell At one time, in the 1950s, there were between 4,000 and 5,000 Jews living in Ireland, most of them in Dublin, using several different synagogues. After this building by Wilfrid...

03 May 2010

1955 – Former Meath Hospital, Heytesbury St., Dublin

Architect: Robinson Keefe Devane Extension to the original 19th century hosipital in a Dutch modern style. Extended in 1962 by the same architects. Three substantial interlinked blocks make up this stage of the...

28 September 2009

1956 – Church of the Immaculate Conception, Belturbet, Co. Cavan

Architect: William H. Byrne & Son Unattractive church from the 1950s, designed by Simon Leonard of William H. Byrne & Son, Dublin. The building is described by the diocese as Hiberno-Romanesque but somehow...

26 April 2010

1957 – Christian Brothers School, Fairview, Dublin

Architect: O’Connor & Aylward Best described as mid-century Irish religious institutional, this school for the Christian Brothers was built alongside an earlier building.