Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings of Ireland

04 May 2014

1290s – Thomondgate Bridge, Limerick, Co. Limerick

Thomondgate was part of the “Northern” Liberties granted to Limerick in 1216. This area was the border between Munster and Connacht until County Clare, which was created in 1565, was annexed by Munster...

12 January 2013

12th C. – St Michael le Pole, Dublin

St Michael le Pole, between Chancery Lane and Ship Street, “St Michael of the Pool” overlooked the “Black Pool” from which Dubhlinn took its name. The round tower stood for almost 700 years...

30 May 2014

12th C. – St. Flannan’s Oratory, Killaloe, Co. Clare

Standing in the graveyard to the north of Killaloe Cathedral is St Flannan’s late 11th or early 12th century oratory. It may have been built to house the remains of the saint. The...

15 June 2010

12thc. St. Kevin’s Kitchen, Glendalough, Co. Wicklow

St. Kevin’s Church better known as St. Kevin’s Kitchen is a nave-and-chancel church of the 12th century. It has a small Round Tower above the west doorway. The roof is entirely of stone,...

20 September 2012

1302 – Franciscan Friary, Castledermot, Co.Kildare

Founded in 1302 by Thomas, Lord of Ossory and plundered in 1317. The church was originally a rectangle with transepts added in the 1320s. The monastery was suppressed in 1541. To the south...

18 December 2013

1308 – Old City Conduit, James St., Dublin

A former water fountain or conduit constructed in the James Street area of Dublin. In 1244, the Dodder river was diverted at Firhouse and a canal known as the city watercourse was built...

02 May 2012

1315 – Augustinian Abbey, Adare, Co. Limerick

The Earl of Kildare founded the Augustinian friary at Adare, County Limerick in 1315. Religious activities continued for about 200 years, until the community was suppressed in the mid-16th century. The church is...

09 November 2012

1320c – Claddagh Castle, Dunmore, Co. Galway

Illustrated as largely intact in 1794, the castle is now much decayed. Probably built after the previous castle was burned in 1315, it is a massive four storey tower on a motte. It...

07 January 2010

1334 – Town Walls, Drogheda, Co. Louth

The walled area of medieval Drogheda enclosed 113 acres making it one of the largest walled towns in medieval Ireland. The walls were completed in 1334. It was comparable in size to Dublin,...


Skip to toolbar