Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings of Ireland

06 December 2013

1335 – Market Cross, Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny

From the Transactions of the Kilkenny Archaeological Society, 1843: “This interesting monument, which was erected in 1335, stood in the High-street, between the Butterslip and the Tholsel, and appears to have been an...

27 September 2011

1348 – Friary, Ballyhaunis, Co. Mayo

“Abbey of Ballyhaunes, Co. Mayo” copper engraved print published in Francis Grose’s Antiquities of England and Wales, 1786.

09 November 2012

1353 – Kilconnell Abbey, Co. Galway

A Franciscan friary founded in 1353, by William O’Kelly, Lord of Ui Maine. The remaining building which are in good condition , consist of a church with nave, choir, south transeot and aisle,...

25 March 2013

1358 – Long Choir, Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin

During the 1350s a major extension to the cathedral was undertaken by John de St Paul, Archbishop of Dublin. By 1358, the nave of the cathedral was partly in use for secular purposes...

15 January 2015

13th C. – Drumlane Priory, Co. Cavan

The remains of a 13th century church and round tower. St Mary’s Priory was established here on the northern banks of Garfiney Lough in the 12th century for Augustinian Canons. The church, which...

09 June 2010

13th C. – St Audoen’s Gate, Dublin City Walls, High Street, Dublin

The two remaining stretches of the City Wall visible above ground can be seen at St Audoen’s Church and at the nearby Cornmarket although portions of the city wall, gates and towers have...

30 December 2009

1404c – Clontuskert Abbey, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

The first monastery founded here by St. Baeten in the late 7th century no longer exists. The current ruins date from the late 12th century onwards. After a fire in 1404, the buildings...

05 November 2009

1425 – Bunratty Castle, Co. Clare

The present structure was completed by the MacNamara family around 1425 but 50 years later was in the hands of the O’Briens, the most powerful clan in Munster. In 1646, during the Irish...

06 January 2010

1430c – The Mint, Carlingford, Co. Louth

Essentially a fortified three storey town house belonging to a wealthy merchant family in the centre of Carlingford. While the right to mint coinage was granted to Carlingford in 1467 it is unlikely...


Skip to toolbar