Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

01 July 2013

10th C. – Antrim Round Tower, Co. Antrim

Described as one of the most perfect of the round towers of Ireland, 93 feet high and 50 feet in circumference at the base. The 28metre tall tower was built around the 10th...

24 September 2009

1180 – Carrickfergus Castle, Co. Antrim

One of the finest Norman castles in Ireland, Carrickfergus Castle is sited along the harbour front, controlling the seashore. Probably constructed by John de Courcey sometime around 1180, it is sited on a...

30 November 2012

1193 – Grey Abbey, Greyabbey, Co. Down

Grey Abbey was founded in 1193, by John de Courcy’s wife, Affreca as a daughter house of Holmcultram Abbey in Cumbria. Dissolved in 1541, in the early 17th century it was granted to...

15 January 2015

13th C. – Drumlane Priory, Co. Cavan

The remains of a 13th century church and round tower. St Mary’s Priory was established here on the northern banks of Garfiney Lough in the 12th century for Augustinian Canons. The church, which...

30 November 2009

1474 – Donegal Castle,Co. Donegal

The castle consists of a 15th century rectangular keep with a later Jacobean style wing. The complex is surrounded by a 17th century boundary wall, with a small gatehouse at its entrance mirroring...

24 September 2009

1533 – St. Columbs’s Cathedral, Derry

Described in Tours in Ulster a hand-book to the antiquities and scenery of the north of Ireland., published in 1854. – “The Cathedral, which is capable of seating one thousand persons with ease,...

17 February 2015

1600s – Blayney Castle, Castleblayney, Co. Monaghan

The area of Muckno and Ballynalurgan was granted to Sir Edward Blayney under the Plantation of Ulster in 1607 and 1611. Blayney was a Welsh soldier, and built a stone defensive castle, Blayney...

11 February 2015

1610 – Belfast Castle, Belfast, Co. Antrim

John de Courcy built a castle on what is now Castle Street in the city centre in the 12th century. By the early 17th century when Sir Arthur Chichester, from Devonshire, was granted...

29 May 2015

1611 – North Gate, Carrickfergus, Co. Antrim

Lord Deputy Sir Arthur Chichester enclosed Carrickfergus with stone walls from 1611 onwards and more than half the circuit is still visible, often to its full height of 4 metres to the wall...

Pages:1234567...66Next »