Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Belfast

24 September 2009

1935 – 95-101 Donegall Street, Belfast

Architect: A fine building in the Art Deco style and which addresses a corner very successfully. The building has bold detailing and with its stark black and white colour schemes, the building has...

24 September 2009

1935 – Sinclairs Department Store, Royal Avenue, Belfast

Architect: James Scott A fine building, developed as a department store in the 1930s and opposite the Bank of Ireland, Sinclairs building is now divided into different premises but its exterior remains to...

27 September 2012

1936 – Ritz Cinema, Fisherwick Place, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Kemp & Tasker When constructed it was the largest cinema in Northern Ireland with over 2,200 seats, 1000 of those on the massive balcony. Harland & Wolff supplied the 40-tonne girder which...

24 September 2009

1939 – BBC Bedford House, Belfast

Architect: James Millar Monolithic brick structure on a curved site with some simple brick detailing on stairwells to the rear.

07 January 2012

1965 – Microbiology Building, Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast

Architect: Sir Hugh Casson Designed in 1961 and completed by 1965, the Microbiology Building is part of Queen’s University on the Royal Victoria Hospital campus.

31 January 2011

1966 – Churchill House, Belfast

Architect: Department of Finance Chief Architects Branch Nineteen story office building constructed by the Post Office as a base for the telephone network – later British Telecom. A grim slab of a building,...

04 January 2012

1968 – Unbuilt Plan for Markets Estate, Belfast

Architect: Unbuilt plan for wholesale development of Markets area of Belfast.

04 January 2012

1968 – Unbuilt plan for Shaftesbury Square, Belfast

Architect: A shopping centre development model, looking North towards Great Victoria Street. Never constructed.

27 February 2014

1969 – Divis Flats, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Frank Patterson This complex of 850 flats, housing 2,400 residents was designed by architect Frank Robertson for the Northern Ireland Housing Trust. Construction started in 1966 with the first three blocks completed...