Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Belfast

06 July 2015

1866 – Arnott’s Warehouse, Bridge St., Belfast

Architect: Thomas Jackson & Sons Destroyed during the 1941 Belfast Blitz along with its later extension of 1899 on the corner with High Street. Arnott & Co. rebuilt their department store after the...

24 September 2009

1867 – Ewart’s Warehouse, Bedford Street, Belfast

Architect: James Hamilton A fine but now sadly derelict warehouse built in a Glasgow Ventian style by a Glasgow architect. The building has a corner entrance with a circular hall marked by a...

04 March 2014

1868 – Imperial Hotel, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Charles A. Sherry Constructed for William Jury, proprietor of Jury’s and Shelbourne hotels, Dublin, and Imperial Hotel, Cork. “Just completed by Mr W.B. McMaster, from plans by, and under the direction of,...

09 December 2011

1868 – Methodist College, Belfast

Architect: William Fogerty Selected design from an architectural competition to design a school for the advancement of Methodism. Originally it provided for a new school for 200 pupils with additional collegiate department providing...

09 January 2012

1868 – Old Library, Queen’s University Belfast

Architect: Lanyon, Lynn and Lanyon Illustration showing the interior of the Old Library as originally designed by W.H. Lynn. The building was described by the English poet Philip Larkin (who was sub-librarian at...

08 May 2013

1868 – St Mary’s Church of Ireland, Crumlin Rd., Belfast

Architect: Slater & Carpenter St Mary’s Church of Ireland was completed in 1868 to a design by the London architect William Slater. Estimated cost £2,400 but eventual cost £6,500. The church was badly...

24 September 2009

1869 – Former First Trust Bank, Royal Avenue, Belfast

Architect: William Barre Originally a bank and now a Tesco convenience store, the building was completed by Turner and Williamson after the death of Barre. The building has an impressive seven bay façade...

24 September 2009

1869 – Former Richardsons Store, Belfast

Architect: W.H. Lynn Built in 1867-69, this fine warehouse once had a fine dormered roofline and tall chimneys. These are alas, a memory as is the former interior which was destroyed in the...

29 July 2015

1869 – St. Malachy’s Diocesan Seminary, Belfast

Architect: John O’Neill Constructed on the former Vicinage Park, just north of Belfast city centre. Constructed both as a school and a diocesan seminary, a model followed by many dioceses across Ireland. St....


Skip to toolbar