Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Antrim

15 July 2014

1885 – Orange Hall, Clifton St., Belfast

Architect: William Batt The Hall was opened on January 27th, 1885. To mark the bi-centenary of the “Glorious Revolution” of 1688 an equestrian bronze statue, by Henry Hems of Exeter,city coat of arms...

24 September 2009

1885 – Robinson & Cleaver, Belfast

Architect: Young & Mackenzie Facing City Hall on Donegall Square North, the former Robinson & Cleaver store is now subdivided up into various commercial premises. Belfast has quite a few former department store...

09 April 2014

1885 – Second Presbyterian Church, Ballymoney, Co. Antrim

Architect: Young & Mackenzie The foundation stone of the New Church was laid on the 17th of June, 1884, and the Church was opened for worship on the 11th September, 1885, by the...

24 September 2009

1885 – Thomas Thompson Memorial Fountain, Belfast

Architect: Young & Mackenzie Thomas Thompson, a navel surgeon distinguished in the Napoleonic Wars, was appalled by the conditions in Belfast during the Great Famine. Even though the failure of the potato crop...

17 September 2009

1885 – Thompson Memorial Home for Incurables, Lisburn, Co. Antrim

Architect: Godfrey W. Ferguson This fine building was erected in 1885 as “Thompson House for the Incurables”, named after a local surgeon (William Thompson MD) who had tragically died three years earlier. Endowments...

06 December 2012

1886 – Ceremonial Royal Archways, Belfast, Co. Antrim

A selection of archways erected in Belfast for the 1886 visit of the Prince and Princess of Wales.

14 February 2014

1886 – Former Post Office, Royal Avenue, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: James H. Owen Belfast’s General Post Office that stood on Royal Avenue, by James Owen of the Board of Works. It was built from Dungannon stone with a machicolated cornice and Romanesque...

15 October 2012

1887 – Ballymena Castle, Co. Antrim

Architect: W.H. Lynn The original castle of Ballymena was built in the early 17th century, but was burned out in 1720. In 1865 Lord Waveney started building Ballymena Castle, as a magnificent family...

02 March 2014

1887 – Ballynafeigh Orange Hall, Ormeau Rd., Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: William Batt William Batt had designed several other Orange Halls including the Orange Hall in Clifton Street, were he was a member of Eldon L.O.L. No 7. Watt and the hall committee...