Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Antrim

09 August 2013

1890s – Northern Counties Hotel, Portrush, Co. Antrim

Architect: John Lanyon / Berkeley Deane Wise The Belfast and Northern Counties Railway purchased a share in the lease of the well-established Antrim Arms hotel in the 1870s. By 1883 it had formed...

21 June 2010

1891 – Semi Detatched Houses, Adelaide Park, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: F. Edward Ward A pair of houses designed for his father and another relative described as being in the ‘English Domestic Revival’ style. Perspective with longitudinal section, ground & 1st floor plans...

27 January 2014

1892 – Former Grand Central Hotel, Royal Avenue, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Samuel Stevenson The Grand Central Hotel stood at 12-26 Royal Avenue, Belfast. It was one of the last buildings to be built in the original Royal Avenue development, about 1892. It was...

30 January 2014

1892 – Queen’s Quay Railway Station, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Originally opened by the Belfast & County Down Railway in 1848, the station at Queen’s Quay was rebuilt in 1910-14, extending the original building on both sides. The Belfast Holywood & Bangor Railway...

08 August 2012

1893 – Portrush Railway Station, Co. Antrim

Architect: Berkeley Deane Wise Constructed for the Belfast and Northern Counties Railway, under the direction of its engineer and architect Berkeley Deane Wise, was completed in 1893. Three platforms were provided together with...

24 September 2009

1895 – Grand Opera House, Belfast

Architect: Frank Matcham Built between 1894-5 and damaged by bombs during the troubles and then restored, the Grand Opera House is a Belfast landmark with its ebullient and eclectic exterior. The exterior features...

09 July 2014

1895 – Railway Station, Carrickfergus, Co. Antrim

Architect: Berkeley Deane Wise Mock Tudor station, constructed to replace the station of 1862 that was destroyed by fire, for Belfast & Northern Counties Railway Co. Still in use today by Northern Ireland...

03 March 2015

1895 – Whitla Street Fire Station, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: J.C. Bretland Demolished in the early 1970s for a modern replacement, after the area was cleared for a motorway. Josiah Corbett Bretland was Borough surveyor of Belfast between 1884-1903. As city surveyor...

13 June 2014

1896 – All Souls Church, Elmwood Avenue, Belfast

Architect: George W. Planck Second Presbyterian Congregation founded in 1708, with the York Street Congregation founded in 1840. Present building largely completed in 1896. Design chosen after an architectural competition in 1895 –...