Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Antrim

24 September 2009

1896 – St. George’s Market, Belfast

Architect: J.C. Bretland Recently restored, the markets contain a working fish market and a bric-a-brac market of stalls and traders. Both markets were designed by J.C. Bretland and completed in 1896. In comparison...

17 July 2013

1897 – Former National Bank, 62-68 High Street, Belfast

Architect: William Batt The National Bank Ltd, a bank founded by Daniel O’Connell in 1835 had branches in Ireland and Britain. The Irish branches were acquired by Bank of Ireland in 1965 and...

02 April 2014

1897 – Railway Station, Lisburn, Co. Antrim

Architect: William H. Mills Rebuilt by Chief Engineer of the GNR William Hemingway Mills in 1897 to replace the earlier Ulster Railway building of 1839. Designed in his trademark polychromic brickwork, now emblematic...

17 October 2013

1898 – Belfast Boat Club, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Vincent Craig Former home of the Belfast Boat Club, which was deemed state of the art in its day was opened on the 12th September 1897 was blown up in ‘the troubles’...

11 June 2013

1898 – Cairndhu House, Larne, Co. Antrim

Architect: Samuel Patrick Close The existing houses was extended in 1897-98 by Samuel P. Close for John Stewart Clarke. In the process it became a large multi-gabled house of asymmetrical plan and irregular...

25 March 2015

1898 – Competition design for Belfast City Hall

Architect: James Miller Premiated entry in competition for new city hall for Belfast. The design by Sir Brumwell Thomas was selected and completed in 1906. James Miller was a Glasgow-based architect.

06 February 2014

1898 – Midland Hotel, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Berkeley Deane Wise Built in Belfast as part of the York Road station reconstruction with the intention of capturing trade from long distance travellers as it was convenient to the cross-channel steamer...

09 January 2014

1898 – Shankill Road Mission, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: William Roome Large amphitheatre to seat about 2,000, medical mission , soup kitchen, with four shops fronting road. Closed in 2009, the mission originally started in a large tent in 1869 and...

24 September 2009

1898 – The Crown Liquor Saloon, Belfast

Architects: E. & J. Byrne The Crown Liquor Saloon in Great Victoria Street, Belfast is one of Victorian gin palaces which once flourished in the industrial cities of Britain. Today wonderfully preserved and...


Skip to toolbar