Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Antrim

21 November 2014

1903 – The Smiley Cottage Hospital, Larne, Co. Antrim

Architect: Nicholas Fitzsimons Constructed on a site provided by Sir Hugh .H. Smiley, who also paid for the construction of the building. He may have regretted this as the estimated cost was £5,000...

12 March 2015

1904 – Railway Station, Ballymena, Co. Antrim

Architect: Berkeley Deane Wise Unusual station layout with main building lower than the line and platforms. Demolished in 1979 and replaced. Photograph of station prior to demolition copyright TheTurfBurner

24 September 2009

1904 – Scottish Mutual Building, Belfast

Architect: Henry Seaver Built as the Scottish Temperance Building in 1904, this is an imposing if eclectic building in a vaguely baronial style.

04 March 2015

1904 – Signal Cabin, Ballymena, Co. Antrim

Architect: Berkeley Deane Wise A fine example of Wise’s work for the Belfast and Northern Counties Railway is this signal cabin on the island platform at Ballymena railway station. The original station buildings...

17 September 2009

1905 – New Northern Spinning & Weaving Company, Spinning Mill, Belfast

Architect: Samuel Stevenson Architects Large six storey mill at the junction of Craig Street and Falls Road. Constructed of brick with stone dressings for the New Northern Spinning & Weaving Company. Craig Street...

20 May 2015

1905 – Northern Bank, Whitehead, Co. Antrim

Architect: Godfrey W. Ferguson Designed by Godfrey W. Ferguson who was architect to the Northern Banking Co. and designed many of its branch banks across the country. Included living accommodation for the branch...

24 September 2009

1905 – Presbyterian Assembly Buildings, Belfast

Architect: Young & Mackenzie The architect Robert Young received this commission after he organised a competition with a completely unrealistic budget. Naturally none of the competitors could comply with it, so he was...

24 September 2009

1906 – Belfast City Hall

Architect: Alfred Brumwell Thomas In 1888 Queen Victoria gave the town of Belfast the status of City. In response the citizens built the magnificent City Hall which today dominates the heart of Belfast....

24 September 2009

1907 – College of Technology, Belfast

Architect: Samuel Stevenson Architects A monumental building with a triumphant Ionic order and smaller version of the City Hall corner towers.


Skip to toolbar