Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Antrim

17 February 2015

1812 – St. George’s, High Street, Belfast

Architect: John Bowden Described in The Dublin Penny Journal, Views in Belfast (1833), as “Situated in High-street, and erected in the years 1811-12, on the site of an old church taken down in...

17 February 2015

1814 – Royal Academical Institution, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: John Soane The Institution was founded by the public subscription of the citizens of Belfast in the early years of the nineteenth century. Designed by John Soane, after a process where he...

12 February 2012

1820 – Northern Whig House, Waring Street, Belfast

Architect: John McCutcheon Architect is uncertain, but usually attributed to McCutcheon. According to Brett in his Buildings of Belfast, the Commercial Buildings ‘looks as though it ought to be attributed to a more...

23 March 2012

1823 – Ormeau House, Co. Down

Architect: William Vitruvius Morrison A long rambling Tudor mansion designed for the 2nd Marquess of Donegall on the then outskirts of Belfast, who was in exile from his creditors in England. Originally a...

13 February 2015

1827 – Meetinghouse, Fisherwick Place, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Thomas Duff Opened 20 Sep 1827. Demolished to make way for Presbyterian Assembly building. Described in The Dublin Penny Journal, Views in Belfast (1833), as “Erected in the year 1827-28, is built...

13 February 2015

1828 – Presbyterian Meetinghouse, May Street, Belfast

Architect: William Smith Described in The Dublin Penny Journal, Views in Belfast (1833), as “Is raised on framed foundations. The front is of modern or Scammozzian Ionic, having two columns and four pilasters,...

12 February 2015

1829 – Belfast Savings’ Bank, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: William Smith Bank constructed around 1829 for the Belfast Savings Bank Co. Demolished 1941.

13 February 2015

1833 – Christ Church, College Square, Belfast

Architect: William Farrell Designed to accommodate 1,650, consecrated 25 July 1833 and closed June 1993. After lying redundant for several years, it suffered severe fire damage in 1996, with just four walls and...

10 November 2012

1837 – Castle Upton, Templepatrick, Co. Antrim

Architect: Edward Blore Blore was reponsible for alterations and enlarging of House for 1st Lord Templetown in 1836-37. There is a fine mausoleum by Robert Adam in the graveyard from 1789. in the...


Skip to toolbar