Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Antrim

22 October 2013

1840 – Glasshouse, Botanic Gardens, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Charles Lanyon As originally built, it was to the designs of Charles Lanyon in 1840. Turner & Walker were the contractors for first stage. The central dome, built by Young of Edinburgh...

27 January 2014

1840 – The Victoria Hall, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Peter Lundy Constructed as the Victoria Music Hall, later becoming a Gospel after changes by William Fennell including the addition of a gallery and organ. Presumedly at this time, the lettering “Victoria...

25 April 2013

1840s – Clotworthy Arts Centre, Antrim, Co. Antrim

Clotworthy Arts Centre was built in the 1840s as a coach house and stables for Antrim Castle. It was once the centre of a thriving farm and consists of an enclosed central courtyard...

03 June 2014

1843 – Queens Bridge, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: John Fraser, Charles Lanyon, & J.C. Bretland Originally designed by John Frazer with Charles Lanyon between 1841 and 1843 replacing an old 21-arch bridge. In the mid 1880s it was widended by...

24 September 2009

1844 – Saint Malachy’s Church, Belfast

Architect: Thomas Jackson Originally Saint Malachy’s was intended to be the Cathedral Church of the Diocese of Down and Connor and was to seat 7,000 worshippers but in the time when the Great...

12 December 2011

1845 – Ulster Institution for the Deaf and Dumb, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Charles Lanyon A school for the education of the Deaf, Dumb, and Blind, designed by Charles Lanyon in an Elizabethan style. Costing £8,000, it opened to pupils in 1845 and was demolished...

31 January 2014

1846 – Castle Buildings, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Corner of Castle Place and Donegall Place – a three storey stucco building with round headed windows. Also known as Gibsons Corner, it was the first commercial development on Donegall Place which had...

06 January 2012

1847 – Design for County Court House, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Charles Lanyon Unbuilt design proposal for County Court House by Charles Lanyon. With its curved screen walls, it is extremely reminiscent of the former Parliament Building in Dublin. As it was the...

03 November 2012

1848 – Great Victoria Street Railway Station, Belfast

Architect: John Godwin The Ulster Railway opened Belfast’s first railway terminus in 1839, and as such was called just “Belfast” until 1852. By 1852 the Dublin and Belfast Junction Railway was completed, making...