Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Antrim

03 November 2012

1848 – Great Victoria Street Railway Station, Belfast

Architect: John Godwin The Ulster Railway opened Belfast’s first railway terminus in 1839, and as such was called just “Belfast” until 1852. By 1852 the Dublin and Belfast Junction Railway was completed, making...

29 January 2014

1848 – York Road Station, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Charles Lanyon / Berkeley Deane Wise Built by the Belfast & Ballymena Railway to a design by Sir Charles Lanyon, York Road station opened in 1848. Iron roof over the plaforms designed...

24 September 2009

1849 – Lanyon Building, Queen’s University Belfast

Architect: Sir Charles Lanyon Sir Charles Lanyon designed the main building of Queen’s University of Belfast in 1849 which now bears his name. The building is famous for its long Gothic Revival facade...

29 March 2012

1849 – Royal Triumphal Archway, High St., Belfast

Architect: Thirty-two foot tall triumphal archway constructed for the visit of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert to Belfast in 1849. Supposedly the words Cead Mile Failte were inscribed on the reverse side to...

09 January 2012

1850 – County Court House, Crumlin Rd, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Charles Lanyon Final design proposal for County Court House by Charles Lanyon. The building was largely completed as illustrated but since extended by Young and Mackenzie in 1905. This wasn’t the original...

26 October 2012

1852 – Garron Tower, Co. Antrim

Architect: Lewis Vulliamy Designed by Lewis Vulliamy, an English architect. for the Marchioness of Londonderry on a spectacular elevated site. Described as “grimly rectangular”, the castle has little of the finesse or romanticism...

13 December 2011

1853 – Design for Presbyterian College, Belfast

Architect: Charles Lanyon Now known as Union Theological College, it the theological college for the Presbyterian Church in Ireland. As completed the building has some differences from the design illustrated, noticeably the first...

03 January 2013

1854 – Harbour Commissioners’ Office, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: George Smith / W.H. Lynn Originally the central bays were constructed as a free standing Italiante palazzo to designs by George Smith, the architect to the Harbour Commissioners/ Later extended in 1895...

29 May 2015

1856 – Joymount Presbyterian Church, Carrickfergus, Co. Antrim

Italianate church, schools and manse constructed between 1855 amd 1856 to designs of an unknown architect.


Skip to toolbar