Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Antrim

06 July 2015

1866 – Arnott’s Warehouse, Bridge St., Belfast

Architect: Thomas Jackson & Sons Destroyed during the 1941 Belfast Blitz along with its later extension of 1899 on the corner with High Street. Arnott & Co. rebuilt their department store after the...

23 March 2015

1866 – Temple of Liberty, Toomebridge, Co. Antrim

Architect: John Carey Designed and constructed by local Presbyterian minister John Carey. After being accused of plotting a murder, and disappearing for seven years, only to return newly monied, he settled in Toomebridge....

24 September 2009

1867 – Ewart’s Warehouse, Bedford Street, Belfast

Architect: James Hamilton A fine but now sadly derelict warehouse built in a Glasgow Ventian style by a Glasgow architect. The building has a corner entrance with a circular hall marked by a...

04 March 2014

1868 – Imperial Hotel, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Charles A. Sherry Constructed for William Jury, proprietor of Jury’s and Shelbourne hotels, Dublin, and Imperial Hotel, Cork. “Just completed by Mr W.B. McMaster, from plans by, and under the direction of,...

09 December 2011

1868 – Methodist College, Belfast

Architect: William Fogerty Selected design from an architectural competition to design a school for the advancement of Methodism. Originally it provided for a new school for 200 pupils with additional collegiate department providing...

09 January 2012

1868 – Old Library, Queen’s University Belfast

Architect: Lanyon, Lynn and Lanyon Illustration showing the interior of the Old Library as originally designed by W.H. Lynn. The building was described by the English poet Philip Larkin (who was sub-librarian at...

08 May 2013

1868 – St Mary’s Church of Ireland, Crumlin Rd., Belfast

Architect: Slater & Carpenter St Mary’s Church of Ireland was completed in 1868 to a design by the London architect William Slater. Estimated cost £2,400 but eventual cost £6,500. The church was badly...

21 November 2014

1868 – St. Patrick’s Church of Ireland, Jordanstown, Co. Antrim

Architect: W.H. Lynn Small Church of Ireland build to accommodate 250 people. The exterior of white sandstone with red brick dressings; while the interior of red and black brick with sandstone dressings. The...

24 September 2009

1869 – Former First Trust Bank, Royal Avenue, Belfast

Architect: William Barre Originally a bank and now a Tesco convenience store, the building was completed by Turner and Williamson after the death of Barre. The building has an impressive seven bay façade...