Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Antrim

26 March 2014

1870 – Craigavon House, Sydenham, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Thomas Jackson & Sons Small country house on what was then outside of Belfast for James Craig, father of the future Lord Craigavon. The family were wealthy, their money coming from the...

25 July 2013

1870 – St. Enoch’s Presbyterian Church, Carlisle Circus, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Anthony Thomas Jackson Erected in the early 1870s, it was one of the largest Presbyterian churches in all of Ulster. St Enoch’s had a magnificent theatre-like interior with two tiers of galleries...

15 October 2012

1870 – Town Hall, Larne, Co. Antrim

Architect: Alexander Tate Constructed as a townhall, with museum and public library, this is a fine building in a French Gothic style with a tall four-storey clock tower. Opened in August 1870, and...

12 August 2014

1870 – Ulster Bank Buildings, Waring St., Belfast

Architect: Thomas Jackson & Sons Now part of the Merchant Hotel along with the former Ulster Bank headquarters next to it. “These new buildings are being erected for the Ulster Banking Company, in...

12 June 2014

1870 – Working Men’s Institute, Queen Street, Belfast

Architect: Anthony Thomas Jackson Constructed at the junction of Queen and Mill Streets, demolished in 1915. The arcaded shops were the home of Lennon’s Catholic Repository. The building contained a library and a...

11 September 2013

1871 – Carved Stone Pilasters, Belfast

Designs for carved stone pilasters, Baelfast, as published in The Builder, February 18 1871.

12 May 2014

1871 – Nos. 24 & 26 Donegall Place, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Thomas Jackson & Sons “In no locality within the northern capital are architectural improvements more markedly observable than in Donegall Place. To this already fine business premises in this grand throughfare there...

09 January 2012

1872 – Elmwood Hall, Queen’s University Belfast

Architect: John Corry Designed by amateur architect John Corry, Elmwood Hall, a former Presbyterian Church, is the concert hall for Queen’s University. Originally designed in 1859, it was not completed until the construction...

10 January 2014

1872 – McGarel Buildings, Larne, Co. Antrim

Architect: Samuel Patrick Close Ten Victorian Gothic almshouses, for Charles McGarel. McGarel was a slave-owner and sugar trader in the early 19th century. He was also responsible for building the Town Hall in...