Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Cavan

28 September 2009

1825 – Courthouse, Cavan, Co. Cavan

Architect: William Farrell Presumed to be the work of William Farrell as it is almost identical to a courthouse by him in Carrick-on-shannon, the courthouse cost 11,000 pounds to build. Five bays wide,...

28 September 2009

1828 – Church of Ireland, Belturbet, Co. Cavan

Architect: On the highest point in the town, the Church of Ireland has a fine, if short, tower and spire. It was built on the site of an earlier church built between 1622...

28 September 2009

1832 – Courthouse, Cootehill, Co. Cavan

Architect: William Deane Butler Almost identical to a courthouse in Ballyconnell, also in Cavan, Cootehill courthouse now looks rather decrepit and uncared for. At some stage, the pediment has been rendered and unsuitable...

28 September 2009

1836 – Presbyterian Church, Cavan, Co. Cavan

Fine little building with decorative pinnacles and crisp detailing. The battlemented porch with twin-light window is an especially attractive feature.

11 September 2015

1837 – Bishop’s Palace, Kilmore, Co. Cavan

Architect: William Farrell Described in the late 1830s: “The new palace is built in the Grecian Doric style and covered with Roman cement. It appears too lofty, and in other respects is not...

01 October 2014

1839 – St. Anne’s Church, Bailieborough, Co. Cavan

St. Anne’s Roman Catholic Church was erected in 1839 and replaced an older Church near to this site which was described as a long thatched Chapel, which was built during the late 1700s....

12 October 2012

1840 – Castle Saunderson, Belturbet, Co. Cavan

Castle Saunderson is a large castellated mansion in a Tudor-Revival style. The majority of the structure dates from 1840, architect unknown, but it was added onto an earlier house creating an unusual appearance...

01 October 2014

1847 – Model House, Bailieborough, Co. Cavan

Architect: Frederick Darley Erected as an Agricultural Training School with suitable offices and a 48 acre farm attached. Intended as a training school where eight pupils boarded and were taught both the theory...

01 October 2014

1850 – Model Schools, Bailieborough, Co. Cavan

Architect: Frederick Darley The Model Schools were erected between 1848 and 1850, the costs of which was funded by Sir John Young, later Lord Lisgar. Divided into separate boys and girls schools with...

Skip to toolbar